Forum: Ruby on Rails Railsmanual.org

Efe398b3b5436b0a8d4430090e8f86ea?d=identicon&s=25 seth b. (subimage)
Did anyone else catch the redesign? I don't know who's responsible, but
it's
lookin better!

Good job...
30e1c25a554f4af3d4d07127db13ffc8?d=identicon&s=25 Conor Hunt (conorh)
on 2006-05-31 07:33
subimage interactive wrote:
> Did anyone else catch the redesign? I don't know who's responsible, but
> it's
> lookin better!
>
> Good job...

Thanks, sort of :) That's my software, Rannotate
(http://rannotate.rubyforge.org), that is running the site. I wish the
person that set it up had emailed me to let me know that they were doing
it though! I had already had setup Rannotate for the Rails API at
http://rails.outertrack.com and it has quite a few annotations already.

It doesn't make sense to have two sites both receiving annotations. I've
emailed the guy that set it up RailsManual, so hopefully we can
consolidate to one site instead.

--
Conor
5d15c6821f3c3054c04b85471824ba7c?d=identicon&s=25 alfred tennyson (Guest)

It would sure be cool if they made the search submit a GET rather than a
POST.  That way, I could make a firefox quicklink search.
00e3a96684ab390a350b0271e98741d3?d=identicon&s=25 Nshbrown Nshbrown (nshb)
All it takes is a bit of creativity, and a touch of hacka magic :)

http://railsmanual.org/doc/search?name=active

PS. Let me know if you have any other questions.

-NSHB

On 18 Jul 2006 19:20:16 -0000, alfred tennyson <
devlists-rubyonrails@devlists.com> wrote:
> >seth at subimage interactive
> POST.  That way, I could make a firefox quicklink search.
>

> --
> Posted with http://DevLists.com.  Sign up and save your mailbox.

Kind regards,

Nathaniel Brown
President & CEO
Inimit Innovations Inc. - http://inimit.com
00e3a96684ab390a350b0271e98741d3?d=identicon&s=25 Nshbrown Nshbrown (nshb)
PS. Let me know if and when you create the firefox quicklink search. I
will
add a link to it on the site.

-NSHB

On 18 Jul 2006 19:20:16 -0000, alfred tennyson <
devlists-rubyonrails@devlists.com> wrote:
> >seth at subimage interactive
> POST.  That way, I could make a firefox quicklink search.
>

> --
> Posted with http://DevLists.com.  Sign up and save your mailbox.

Kind regards,

Nathaniel Brown
President & CEO
Inimit Innovations Inc. - http://inimit.com
997433f165140d58f52b8c0d1d005dc1?d=identicon&s=25 Patrick Aljord (Guest)
it would be great to have an offline version that we could download as a
compressed file for those of us that don`t have an internet connection.
24d2f8804e6bb4b7ea6bd11e0a586470?d=identicon&s=25 Jeremy Kemper (Guest)
On Jul 18, 2006, at 12:45 PM, Nathaniel Brown wrote:
> All it takes is a bit of creativity, and a touch of hacka magic :)
>
> http://railsmanual.org/doc/search?name=active
>
> PS. Let me know if you have any other questions.

The 'Useful Links' seem to be ads - are they sponsors?

I recall this site forked rannotate (and its fledgling user content)
some time ago.  Has that split been healed & the sites rejoined?

jeremy
5d15c6821f3c3054c04b85471824ba7c?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin Olbrich (Guest)
On Wednesday, May 31, 2006, at 7:33 AM, Conor Hunt wrote:
>it though! I had already had setup Rannotate for the Rails API at
>Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

What's up with rails.outertrack.org anyway?  It's been unresponsive for
me lately.

_Kevin
www.sciwerks.com
Eea3feaacbe44706164289d068d94828?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Michaux (Guest)
On 5/30/06, Conor Hunt <conor.hunt+rails@gmail.com> wrote:
> it though! I had already had setup Rannotate for the Rails API at
> http://rails.outertrack.com and it has quite a few annotations already.
>
> It doesn't make sense to have two sites both receiving annotations. I've
> emailed the guy that set it up RailsManual, so hopefully we can
> consolidate to one site instead.

Connor, nice job! It is nice to have something like the PHP or MySQL
user comments for rails. I really like the rating system for comments
too.

If the site was downloadable for off-line browsing that would have all
other doc sites beat.

Any way of changing the search box from POST to GET so that the back
button works a little easier when returning to the search? I don't
really see the need for POST anyway as searchs don't change the db
content anyway.

I know it isn't yours but railsmanual.org is a nice domain name.

Peter
00e3a96684ab390a350b0271e98741d3?d=identicon&s=25 Nshbrown Nshbrown (nshb)
The useful links are somewhat ads. They are more related personally
affiliated organizations which I run.

RailsManual.org was launched  due to what is now being seen yet again,
in
inability for rails.outertrack.com to stay up. This was the same reason
why
it was launched when it was, and why I will continue to keep it alive
even
in spite of me "forking" the comments.

I depend on the manual, and haven't been able to depend on it elsewhere,
so... :)

In any case, I emailed Conor about combining forces awhile ago after all
the
noise that was stirred due to some public notice of seeing the sites
value,
but haven't heard back from him.

I am open to opening up the code, but the most important thing is that
it
remains alive, and something that can be depended on by none other than
myself. If giving access to other people hinders that, then that will
obviously need to be corrected. This was my concern earlier, the more
hands
on the wheel, the more chance for the manual to steer offline.

The main comment I have heard as well is to be able to download it. This
is
a great idea, and I may very well do this in the coming weeks. Albeit,
the
offline version will be huge as it will database a significant amount of
data, it will nevertheless be invaluable for those developers always on
the
road.

  -NSHB