Forum: GNU Radio Suggestions for newbies?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
D6fa2f9b530a09da619caceb8ed81669?d=identicon&s=25 James Longstreet (Guest)
on 2006-05-28 22:43
(Received via mailing list)
Hello,

I recently started reading about Gnu Radio, and I think it would make
a great project for my university's ACM chapter.  My EE/radio
experience is pretty much limited to RadioShack kits and building a
shortwave receiver, but I have lots of programming experience.  I'm
confident that I can wrap my head around the concepts at least enough
to make things work.

 From everything I've read, it seems that the USRP is the way to go
for hardware - relatively inexpensive, designed to work with Gnu
Radio, and general enough to allow for just about anything.  What can
I hope to accomplish with a USRP - AM/FM radio? TV? HDTV?

Also, what kind of timeframe would be reasonable for playing around
with this?  Should I expect to be able to receive FM radio the day I
take my USRP out of the box, or will I have to fiddle with things for
a few weeks/months?  I don't mind spending time with it, but I'd like
to know what I'm getting myself into before I spend $700 on it.

What reading should I do to get up to speed on concepts I'm going to
be running into?  I understand radio at a conceptual level, but DSP
and things like that are foreign to me.

Thank you,

James Longstreet
System Administrator
Association for Computing Machinery
University of Illinois at Chicago
745d8202ef5a58c1058d0e5395a78f9c?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Blossom (Guest)
on 2006-05-28 23:35
(Received via mailing list)
On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 03:40:39PM -0500, James Longstreet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently started reading about Gnu Radio, and I think it would make
> a great project for my university's ACM chapter.  My EE/radio
> experience is pretty much limited to RadioShack kits and building a
> shortwave receiver, but I have lots of programming experience.  I'm
> confident that I can wrap my head around the concepts at least enough
> to make things work.

Good.  I don't think you'll find it overly challenging.

> From everything I've read, it seems that the USRP is the way to go
> for hardware - relatively inexpensive, designed to work with Gnu
> Radio, and general enough to allow for just about anything.  What can
> I hope to accomplish with a USRP - AM/FM radio? TV? HDTV?

If you get a USRP with the "TV Rx" daughterboard, FM will work out of
the box.

> Also, what kind of timeframe would be reasonable for playing around
> with this?  Should I expect to be able to receive FM radio the day I
> take my USRP out of the box,

Yes.

> or will I have to fiddle with things for a few weeks/months?  I
> don't mind spending time with it, but I'd like to know what I'm
> getting myself into before I spend $700 on it.

> What reading should I do to get up to speed on concepts I'm going to
> be running into?  I understand radio at a conceptual level, but DSP
> and things like that are foreign to me.

Check out http://comsec.com/wiki?SuggestedReading for pointers to good
info.  If you're interested in getting up to speed on DSP, Richard
Lyons' book is a good place to start.

> Thank you,
>
> James Longstreet
> System Administrator
> Association for Computing Machinery
> University of Illinois at Chicago

Eric
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.