Forum: Ruby What's wrong with Windows? (Was: Re: String segfault with wi

67bb4df2775f6a6b603347dce7119571?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Dear Dan,

I tried your code using Ruby 1.8.4, Windows XP, Cygwin.
I do not get a segmentation fault there.
So it doesn't appear to have to do with Ruby.
Recently, there were quite some people posting about
segfault problems when running applications on Windows -
ruby-gsl, fxruby, and now win32api.
Does anybody know anything why Windows behaves that way?

Best regards,

Aee77dba395ece0a04c688b05b07cd63?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Berger (Guest)
on 2006-05-28 17:22
(Received via mailing list) wrote:
> Best regards,
> Axel

I don't think the bug I posted (which now appears to be sporadic, btw)
is necessarily related to the bugs reported in ruby-gsl or fxruby.

It could be a bug in string.c.  Or, it could be a compiler bug.  Or, it
could be some issue with regards to Windows IO stream, since a 'puts'
will sometimes mysteriously solve (or cause) a segfault.