Forum: Ruby Give me your poor, your hungry, your Rakefiles

6f792b946bbf30845314eb501da5e040?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin Clark (Guest)
So lets get this summer of code thing started.

I figure the best way to pull Rakefile generation code into a library
is to have lots of Rakefiles to work with. I'm specificly looking for
Rakefiles used to compile C programs, but I'm happy to look at common
elements of whatever you have.

If you'd also like to send Makefiles for extensions to Ruby, I'd like
to look at those as well to compare structure.

Send them this way guys. We want to be open, but I don't want to clog
up ruby-talk with posts full of Make and Rakefiles.. does it make
sense to post here or email them to me? Send kevin dot clark at gmail
dot com if that's the right choice. Additionally, I'll have the
RubyForge project setup today and we can get a simple mailing list
going for people interested in advising and helping out.

Kev
6f792b946bbf30845314eb501da5e040?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin Clark (Guest)
I've gotten a few good examples. Keep em coming folks. Rakefiles in
general, but those compiling C programs or C extensions preferably.

Kev
Dd76a12d66f843de5c5f8782668e7127?d=identicon&s=25 Mauricio Fernandez (Guest)
On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 04:38:54AM +0900, Kevin Clark wrote:
> I figure the best way to pull Rakefile generation code into a library
> is to have lots of Rakefiles to work with. I'm specificly looking for
> Rakefiles used to compile C programs, but I'm happy to look at common
> elements of whatever you have.

You could maybe have a look at Rant: it seems[1] much more powerful when
it
comes to compiling stuff (built-in dependency checking, command change
recognition, etc...). I bet you can steal a few ideas from there.

[1] judging from a quick look at the docs:
    http://make.rubyforge.org/files/README.html
6f792b946bbf30845314eb501da5e040?d=identicon&s=25 Kevin Clark (Guest)
> You could maybe have a look at Rant: it seems[1] much more powerful when it
> comes to compiling stuff (built-in dependency checking, command change
> recognition, etc...). I bet you can steal a few ideas from there.
>
> [1] judging from a quick look at the docs:
>     http://make.rubyforge.org/files/README.html
> --
> Mauricio Fernandez  -   http://eigenclass.org   -  singular Ruby

Thanks Mauricio, I'll take a look.