Forum: Ruby on Rails [OT] Rails hosting question -- video centric

119af50160cabfe1fb6f2f05f5018c64?d=identicon&s=25 James Ludlow (Guest)
This is OT in the sense that it's yet another hosting question and not
strictly a problem I'm having with Rails.  Basically, I trust and
appreciate the knowledge of the folks on this list so I'm hoping for
some insight.

I have a new project that I'll be starting up soon.  It's basically
going to feed videos.  The webapp piece is trivial.  I'm pretty sure
I'll be able to knock out the actual Ruby / Rails code in an evening
or two.

Where I'm lost is in choosing a hosting provider for such a thing.
When the site gets more traffic I have some good local choices for
dedicated servers / co location, but for now I'm looking for a virtual
host.

I already use a virtual host for other Rails and PHP applications, but
those are mostly database-centric apps.  Now I need larger bandwidth
and storage space, but still the ability to log in as root, install
whatever I want, run Rails, etc.

If anyone has experience with this type of hosting, or even any tips
and pitfalls related to video hosting in general, I would be very
grateful to hear about them.

Thanks!
-- James
On May 25, 2006, at 9:31 AM, James Ludlow wrote:

> Where I'm lost is in choosing a hosting provider for such a thing.
> and pitfalls related to video hosting in general, I would be very
> grateful to hear about them.
>
> Thanks!
> -- James

Hey James-

	You might want to take a look at http://layeredtech.com. They have
very good prices on dedicated boxes. You can get an AMD box with
512Mb ram and an 80gig HD with 1000Gb monthly bandwidth transfer for
$65/month. The prices range up from there for better processors more
memory, HD space. I guess the main thing for a video service like you
speak of is the monthly bandwidth. you don't want to not have enough
bandwidth to serve all the videos.

	I have a few boxes with them and have never had any down time or
problems yet. It's totally unmanaged service so your on your own as
far as admining the server. But it sounds like thats what you are
looking for anyways.

Cheers-
-Ezra
24d2f8804e6bb4b7ea6bd11e0a586470?d=identicon&s=25 Jeremy Kemper (Guest)
On May 25, 2006, at 12:44 PM, Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:
>> or two.
>> and storage space, but still the ability to log in as root, install
>> Rails@lists.rubyonrails.org
>
> 	I have a few boxes with them and have never had any down time or
> problems yet. It's totally unmanaged service so your on your own as
> far as admining the server. But it sounds like thats what you are
> looking for anyways.

I've have similarly positive experiences with my boxes at layered:
bare, cheap, quick service.

James, check out their unmetered packages:
   http://layeredtech.com/layer1.php?g=17

Also try searching for 'unmetered' at webhostingtalk.com for the
latest (often very good) deals.

jeremy
119af50160cabfe1fb6f2f05f5018c64?d=identicon&s=25 James Ludlow (Guest)
> >       I have a few boxes with them and have never had any down time or
> > problems yet. It's totally unmanaged service so your on your own as
> > far as admining the server. But it sounds like thats what you are
> > looking for anyways.

That's exactly what I was looking for.  Plus, an endorsement from Ezra
definitely holds some weight with me.  I'll be sure to check these
guys out.

On 5/25/06, Jeremy Kemper <jeremy@bitsweat.net> wrote:
> I've have similarly positive experiences with my boxes at layered:
> bare, cheap, quick service.
>
> James, check out their unmetered packages:
>    http://layeredtech.com/layer1.php?g=17
>
> Also try searching for 'unmetered' at webhostingtalk.com for the
> latest (often very good) deals.

Again, Jeremy + Ezra, thank you very much for your suggestions.  It's
helped much.

-- James
Df040ca3576504b24a73744179903277?d=identicon&s=25 Tobias Lütke (Guest)
Not that i deald with their tech support a lot but layered tech is
stable, the hardware works and the traffic is plenty. Shopify runs
from layered tech as well.

On 5/25/06, James Ludlow <jamesludlow@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >       I have a few boxes with them and have never had any down time or
> > bare, cheap, quick service.
> -- James

Tobi
http://shopify.com       - modern e-commerce software
http://typo.leetsoft.com - Open source weblog engine
http://blog.leetsoft.com - Technical weblog
30269682335f1fb247d71969fa715b5e?d=identicon&s=25 Roberto Saccon (rsaccon)
at layeredtech you can even have  console access to your box via VNC
(for a
small rental fee), if you mess up something while setting it up.