Forum: Ruby on Rails 150 Rails Plugins

Db303dc84d03a992b33cd3ac978f89ae?d=identicon&s=25 Benjamin Curtis (Guest)
The Rails Plugin Directory now has over 150 plugins and RDoc support
too: http://www.bencurtis.com/archives/2006/05/150-rails-plugins/

--
Benjamin Curtis
http://www.bencurtis.com/

Michael
0091f92762685860109bbcb02edfdf27?d=identicon&s=25 Alain Ravet (Guest)
> The Rails Plugin Directory now has over 150 plugins and RDoc support

I wonder: is this really a good news: 150 plugins, and counting?! How
many in 6 months?
It would currently take 2.5 hour just to spend 1 minute per plugin to
read its name, description and very very briefly check its home site.

Where is the good old
    "Less is more"
gone?

More is less.

Alain
89d967359903c639d31e4cad4569f537?d=identicon&s=25 Charlie Bowman (Guest)
I couldn't disagree more.  I take the number to mean that there is a
super strong community of users who are willing to put the time into
producing re-usable code.  I've only written two small plugins, but I
know I could have completed the task I was using them for much faster if
I hadn't taken the time to package the code into a plugin.  Look at all
the modules on CPAN.  A lot of people still use perl today just for the
fact that they have access to 1000's (10,000s?) of modules.  Does the
number of perl modules make perl bloated?  I think the fact there are a
lot of plugins is great.  It helps to keep the core rails framework from
becoming too fat.  This way you only have to use a plugin if you want.

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 20:29 +0200, Alain Ravet wrote:

> More is less.
>
> Alain

Charlie Bowman
http://www.recentrambles.com
2f9a03aa0fcfe945229cb6126eda2cb2?d=identicon&s=25 Philip Hallstrom (Guest)
>   > The Rails Plugin Directory now has over 150 plugins and RDoc support
>
> I wonder: is this really a good news: 150 plugins, and counting?! How many in
> 6 months?

It is if you need something from one of them :-)

> It would currently take 2.5 hour just to spend 1 minute per plugin to read
> its name, description and very very briefly check its home site.

subscribe to the feed... I spend about 2 minutes a day... i don't look
at
them that closely though...

http://feeds.feedburner.com/RubyOnRailsPlugins

-philip
D5145c421cd25af6fa577c15219add90?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Hmm, "less is more" is all well and good for doing a specific job, but
surely all this availability of code is a good thing. If you want to
find something which does a job you need doing, you search for it,
find it, install it and run it, so you don't need to do it yourself.
That is "less is more".
-N
B642b4217b34b1e8d3bd915fc65c4452?d=identicon&s=25 Adam (Guest)
on 2006-05-26 21:01
Alain Ravet wrote:
>> The Rails Plugin Directory now has over 150 plugins and RDoc support
>
> I wonder: is this really a good news: 150 plugins, and counting?! How
> many in 6 months?
> It would currently take 2.5 hour just to spend 1 minute per plugin to
> read its name, description and very very briefly check its home site.
>
> Where is the good old
>     "Less is more"
> gone?
>
> More is less.
>
> Alain

I don't have a problem with all these plugins. They solve the kind of
problems they were designed to, add functionality and cover those 5% of
edge cases. The problem comes when you have 10 plugins that do the same
thing. I don't think we're there yet and with sites like Benjamin's I
don't see it happening. Extracting code/logic from working applications
and easily distributing it is turning out some great plugins.