Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] mongrel_cluster 0.1.3 prerelease

Fcaf7a918c19872baf5c3b2787415e8e?d=identicon&s=25 Bradley Taylor (bktaylor)
Hi y'all,

A prerelease of mongrel_cluster 0.1.3 is available for testing with
the  Mongrel 0.3.13 prerelease.  This release contains bug fixes and
adds a Ruby script for managing all applications on a server with a
single command.

To install:
gem install mongrel_cluster --source=http://
railsmachine.rubyforge.org/releases/

Changes:
* Suppress output from mongrel_rails.
* Added a verbose option (-v, --verbose) to print output from
mongrel_rails.
* Added support for changing the user/group of mongrel_rails process.
* Added bin/mongrel_cluster_ctl to start/stop all clusters on a
server. Usage: mongrel_cluster_ctl (start|stop|restart) [options]
* Addred resources/mongrel_cluster
* Fixed bugs in Capistrano recipes with mongrel_config variable.
* Remove use_sudo from configure_mongrel_cluster task.
* Changed restart_mongrel_cluster task to call stop/start.
* Added Capistrano tasks to support mongrel_cluster_ctl.

Known issues:
* Output suppression doesn't quite work as  expected. Some messages
from "mongrel_rails start" are not suppressed.
* Changing user/group should no-op if specified user/group is the
same as caller (may require Mongrel patch).
* Documentation.
* Win32 needs love.

How to automatically start Mongrel clusters on system boot with
mongrel_cluster_ctl:
1. Create /etc/mongrel_cluster
2. Create a symlink to the configuration files of clusters that you
want to automatically start/stop. You can also use the
setup_mongrel_cluster_ctl Capistrano task.
3. Setup start on boot and stop on shutdown. The gem contains an
init.d script that works with RHEL/CentOS/Fedora.
     Red Hat systems:
     - Copy from the resources/mongrel_cluster bash script to /etc/
init.d/mongrel_cluster.
     - run "chkconfig --level 345 mongrel_cluster on" to enable
running mongrel_cluster_ctl on start up.
     - start all clusters with "service mongrel_cluster start"
     - stop all clusters with "service mongrel_cluster stop"
    Other systems:
    - Look at the resources/mongrel_cluster bash script for example
usage of mongrel_cluster_ctl from a bash script.
    - Modify as needed for your OS.
    - Email me a modified version for your OS and I will include in
the final release. Please include instructions for starting on boot.

Please add bugs, requests, etc to the RubyForge tracker:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=1336

Thanks,
Bradley Taylor

------
Rails Machine
Simplified Ruby on Rails deployment
http://railsmachine.com
On May 25, 2006, at 5:41 AM, bradley taylor wrote:

> Thanks,
> Bradley Taylor

	You're the man Bradley. Nice release.

Thanks
-Ezra
429500a5a54600958c9c7ac032a37f66?d=identicon&s=25 Joe (Guest)
on 2006-05-25 21:48
Nice. Just want to pipe in and say that I've been using mongrel cluster
for a couple weeks or so and it's just the leash that Mongrel needs when
using more than one server!

Joe