Forum: Ruby on Rails yet another rails site - happycarpools.com

43ec5998360a0cc21b51afef1781e9c0?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Higginbotham (danieldaniel)
I'm pretty much done with a project I've been developing to learn Rails,
http://www.happycarpools.com . If you could take a look, that'd be
awesome!
Feedback would be even more awesome!

Probably the coolest thing about making this has been seeing how Rails
does
*so much* and hardly has any superfluous parts, if any. There are so
many
features that I initially didn't think I'd ever need, but then the need
arose and the feature was there to save time for me. Hooray for Rails!

Daniel
daniel at flyingmachinestudios dot com
D5145c421cd25af6fa577c15219add90?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
It's quite a cool idea. And no criticism immediately spring to mind.
If you internationalise (note the British spelling) it, that would be
pretty awsome. Here in the UK, if you just ask someone if you could
ride with them, they either make up some excuse or just drive off.
-N
Eea3feaacbe44706164289d068d94828?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Michaux (Guest)
On 5/24/06, Daniel Higginbotham <daniel@flyingmachinestudios.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty much done with a project I've been developing to learn Rails,
> http://www.happycarpools.com . If you could take a look, that'd be awesome!
> Feedback would be even more awesome!

Hi Daniel,

Very nice site. A focused idea and a pleasing user interface.

Peter
43ec5998360a0cc21b51afef1781e9c0?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Higginbotham (danieldaniel)
Thanks for looking at it, and thanks for the suggestion!

It's crazy that you all can at least go up to some stranger and ask for
ride; I wouldn't even think of doing that here
39c5254d0a798765f37ac215fa6e0fc7?d=identicon&s=25 Curtis Spendlove (cuspendlove)
Daniel Higginbotham wrote:
> Thanks for looking at it, and thanks for the suggestion!
>
> It's crazy that you all can at least go up to some stranger and ask for a
> ride; I wouldn't even think of doing that here

Oh, it would work okay in most of the states...  But then you'd need
your blackberry to look up the sister-site happyhospitals.com  :)
Hmmm...maybe that doesn't qualify as "work okay".

-Curtis
024e4717cdf03bb03179a9594805431d?d=identicon&s=25 Pat Lynch (Guest)
Looks great. Are you going to implement the 'Show Notes' link and the
Back Button link?
Ciao,
Pat
Aebcf62bf113aade48c700e59b786356?d=identicon&s=25 Naju Ventura (najuvm)
just to report a bug in the New carpool button on the main page; at
http://www.happycarpools.com/carpools/new I get a message saying
Application
error (Rails)

It's a very nice app. Wish people were so cooperative here; we have huge
traffic problems in my city. Is this a closed-source project or could we
take a look at the source and maybe learn something new?
753528fbc8b89d5f3bbcd5558c36d168?d=identicon&s=25 Glenn Cadman (glenn)
on 2006-05-26 11:42
In regard to "New Carpool" on the front page

it says Create a new car pool starting in Abbeville and going to
Abberville. With the button under it.

Seems a bit strange to me. Why would I want to create a car pool
starting in Abbeville and going to Abberville?

If you want to have that widget have a drop down selection for the
locations. Or just have a link "create my carpool". Same for the "get
notified"

I also though the Happy Carpools logo at the top was a bit "bright", a
darker blue and darker green I think would be easier on the eyes in the
long run, but that is just me
On 5/26/06, Glenn Cadman <glenn.cadman@gmail.com> wrote:
> In regard to "New Carpool" on the front page
>
> it says Create a new car pool starting in Abbeville and going to
> Abberville. With the button under it.

I can imagine that some people both live and work in Abbeville.
Perhaps they have to drive a few kilometers to get to work.
43ec5998360a0cc21b51afef1781e9c0?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Higginbotham (danieldaniel)
Thanks for the feedback!

If you change the dropdowns under "search" the highlighted text with the
city names will be updated automatically.  I can see how that would be
confusing, but I believe that when the site sees real-world usage this
feature will be an asset.

And as Peter mentioned, some people probably will be going from one end
of
town to another, especially in huge congested cities like Houston.

Thanks also for the critique of the logo.  Unfortunately I have no
design
skills, but the colors seem to convey "happy" to me.

Thanks again!
Daniel
43ec5998360a0cc21b51afef1781e9c0?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Higginbotham (danieldaniel)
Thanks for taking a look - I imagine the error message was due to
Dreamhost
being flaky.  I think when I've got it fully up and running I'll put the
source up for download.  I predict, however, that you'll only learn a
few
things *not* to do :)

  _____

On 5/26/06, Daniel Higginbotham <daniel@flyingmachinestudios.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback!
>
> If you change the dropdowns under "search" the highlighted text with the
> city names will be updated automatically.  I can see how that would be
> confusing, but I believe that when the site sees real-world usage this
> feature will be an asset.

Works.  I think maybe a quick "blurb" would explain it, but I think it
is fairly common now-days to have this behavior.

> And as Peter mentioned, some people probably will be going from one end of
> town to another, especially in huge congested cities like Houston.

Yup yup...blasted capitalist metropolis USA...  Heehee...  I want to
telecommute...  ::  pout ::

> Thanks also for the critique of the logo.  Unfortunately I have no design
> skills, but the colors seem to convey "happy" to me.

I think the logo is fine.  It's pastels which are easy on the eyes
anyway...  And it definitely conveys "happy".  Overall, clean, fast,
good functionality, but simple.  To use corporate-speak: a win-win!

-Curtis
164bad3bfc412e3d0442d199a3780eff?d=identicon&s=25 oom tuinstoel (Guest)
on 2006-05-26 21:07
Daniel,

like the site, and the idea behind it. The colors seem to say "HAPPY"!
Keep it up! And if you could share the code, and warn us about some
pitfalls you have encountered would be great!
Aebcf62bf113aade48c700e59b786356?d=identicon&s=25 Naju Ventura (najuvm)
on 2006-05-26 21:38
ok I'll keep an eye on it. Good luck!
30ee518e6fdc5b07e060775b5a542bdb?d=identicon&s=25 Jón Borgþórsson (jongretar)
hehe... I've seen projects that try to get into niche markets. But
this one tops all. ;)
Very nice though all jokes apart.

On 5/25/06, Daniel Higginbotham <daniel@flyingmachinestudios.com> wrote:
> daniel at flyingmachinestudios dot com

43ec5998360a0cc21b51afef1781e9c0?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Higginbotham (danieldaniel)
It actually started out as oahucarpools.com, serving just one tiny
island on
the most isolated archipelago in the world :)
30ee518e6fdc5b07e060775b5a542bdb?d=identicon&s=25 Jón Borgþórsson (jongretar)
Well.. We don't actually need that here in Iceland. We just jump into
the next car. Odds are he's going in the same direction as we.