Forum: Ruby Getting values from @params["variable"] with a string

27d88f6af3796b8b83fe26515dd15023?d=identicon&s=25 Chris (Guest)
on 2006-05-25 00:29
I want to retrieve values from params but cannot hardcode in the value
in the brackets [:value].  I want to be able to have a variable in the
bracket or a string, but it seems that it doesn't evaluate what is in
the brackets.

Any idea of how this can be done

I want to loop through a bunch of column names and store a value from a
text field of the same name

    for column in Particular.content_columns
   	@particular.'column.name'= params[:'column.name']
    end

However whatever is put between the ' ' seems to have to be hard coded?

Suggestions?

Much appreciated

        @particular.send("#{column.name}=", params[column.name.to_sym])
>     end

You may want to cache the "#{column.name}=" strings somewhere so it
isn't constructed on each iteration. You could look it up in a hash that
maps column.name to the appropriate string or symbol.
27d88f6af3796b8b83fe26515dd15023?d=identicon&s=25 Chris (Guest)
on 2006-05-25 00:55
Beautiful! Thanks Joel