Forum: Ruby Recipients of Google Summer of Code awards

Hello everyone --

On behalf of Ruby Central, the mentoring organization, I am very
pleased indeed to announce the students who have been
awarded grants through the Google Summer of Code program for 2006.

First, I'd like to express our deep thanks to all the students who
applied, and to all the mentor volunteers.  Everyone put in a lot of
time on preparing and/or ranking applications, and the pool of
applications as well as the roster of mentors was impressive.  I hope
that those of you who did not receive funding this year will
nonetheless come back next year and apply.

The students who have been awarded grants by Google, along with their
project titles and names of their mentors, are:

Alexander Stephen Bradbury: Automated Wrapper Generation
                             for Information Extraction
Mentor: Austin Ziegler

Gregory Brown: Ruby Reports
Mentor: David Pollak

Kevin Clark:  mkmf for Rake
Mentor: Caleb Tennis

Robert Figueiredo: A Ruby Rule-based toolkit
Mentor: Kirk Haines

Benjamin Gorlick: Improved style and extendable interactive
documentation system for Ruby and Rails
Mentor: James Edward Gray II

Florian Gross: ruby-breakpoint GUI client
Mentor: Patrick Hurley

Ilmari Heikkinen: Pure-Ruby OpenGL GUI widget systemMentor: Ryan
Leavengood

Jeffrey Hughes: Port Ruby to Symbian OSMentor: Dibya Prakash

Jason Morrison: Code Completion with Type Inference
for Ruby Development Tools project
Mentor: Christopher Williams

Gabriele Renzi: New Administration subsystem for nitro
Mentor: Bryan Soto
2c7c807a1df0c76a8fc823c709b501a9?d=identicon&s=25 Victor Shepelev (Guest)
> The students who have been awarded grants by Google, along with their
> project titles and names of their mentors, are:

Are somewhere detailed description for all those projects? Some sound a
bit
confusingly.

> David A. Black (dblack@wobblini.net)

Victor.
On 5/24/06, Victor Shepelev <vshepelev@imho.com.ua> wrote:
> [...]

Here is my full proposal, for those interested:

anyone with further questions is invited to carry discussions over to
the ruport mailing list:

Proposal for the continued development of Ruby Reports.

Project Background:

  The Ruby Reports library has been actively developed since July
2005.  The goal is to build a high quality reporting engine for Ruby
applications.  It currently provides tools for data acquisition,
database interacting, formatting, and parsing/munging.  Though it has
progressed over the last 10 months, work on it has been part time at
best, thus making growth of the library rather slow.

Developer Background:

Gregory Brown has been active in the Ruby community since late 2004
and has worked on the HighLine library (http://highline.rubyforge.org)
and the Gambit library (http://gambit.rubyforge.org) [ Made possible
by ruby central ]

Previous to working in Ruby, Gregory was working in Perl throughout hi
highschool years.

He is currently an O'ReillyNet Ruby blogger, a member of the Artima
Ruby Code & Style Advisory Board, and an active member of the RubyTalk
community.

Gregory is a member of the NYC.rb and the new_haven.rb groups, the
latter of which he helped establish.

Goals:

  Though Ruby Reports (Ruport) is still in alpha status, it has
acquired thousands of downloads and a surprising amount of developer
feedback.  One of the most common requests is integration with the
Ruby on Rails framework, and with sufficient resources, this would be
a top priority for Ruport.

  Another major priority for Ruby Reports is unifying the many
excellent formatting toolsets available in the Ruby community into a
single toolset.  It is very common to require reports in a number of
formats, be they html, pdf, plain text, csv, excel, or many others.
Ruport will be expanded to make this easy for the developer to deal
with.  Work has already begun to integrate with RedCloth, PDF::Writer,
and FasterCSV, with expansions of these formats and new format support
on the horizon.

  Still, the most important part of Ruby Reports is data manipulation.
 The goal is to be able to compare data from an eclectic set of data
sources with minimal headaches.  Implementing data structures which
will support things like calculated fields in tabular data, summary
reports of datasets, combinations of data from different sources, and
other advanced manipulations are a very high priority.

  Ruby Reports does not aim to re-invent the many wonderful libraries
and frameworks which already exist in the Ruby community.  It simply
aims to bring the sort of integration techniques which caused Ruby on
Rails to be such a success on the web development front to the
reporting world.  Through linking an easily extendable formatting
toolset with strong data manipulation tools, and then providing
integration with one of the most popular frameworks in the Ruby
community, Ruport can become a very helpful piece of software for
those who are building reporting applications, be they ad-hoc or
robust.
2c7c807a1df0c76a8fc823c709b501a9?d=identicon&s=25 Victor Shepelev (Guest)