Forum: Ruby on Rails Starting on the Ruby Rails path

3275da7fdbd73cb4e7956fd0d29164de?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Bergstrom (palb)
on 2006-05-24 11:07
Hi all, I'm a web designer/-developer. I found Ruby and Ruby on Rails,
and as I can understand (for now) this is what I've been looking for.
I'm really exited about this. Prior to this I've used Lasso and PHP.

But a few questions (sitting on Mac OS 10.4.6). I tried to install
according to this:

http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rail...

But I got stuck when installing Rails with "sudo gem install rails
--include-dependencies". I think I either wasn't in the right directory
when doing the installation via the terminal, or I didn't get the PATH
right (probably the latter).

Don't know if that "export PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:$PATH""
was correct for bash. Can't I put that in .bash_profile together with
the mysql path I have there? (Never understood the difference with
.bash_profile, .bashrc, .bash_login, etc).

How do I check if I got Ruby and RubyGems installed properly?

I also got Locomotive for Mac OS. If I have that do I need to bother
with the other installation above?
30ee518e6fdc5b07e060775b5a542bdb?d=identicon&s=25 Jón Borgþórsson (jongretar)
If you use Locomotive you can skip the steps.
I personally don't like locomotive but it does the job.

On 5/24/06, Pål Bergström <pal@palbergstrom.com> wrote:
> --include-dependencies". I think I either wasn't in the right directory
> I also got Locomotive for Mac OS. If I have that do I need to bother
> with the other installation above?
>
> --

8f3739e3b34bfea19fd381500d8a8fe6?d=identicon&s=25 Anthony Carlos (acarlos)
Yes, you can put it into your ~/.bash_profile. However, it won't
become active until you log out and log back in. To see if it is
active, use the env command and look for the PATH variable. Does it
start with /usr/local/bin (it should, according to your post below)?

On May 24, 2006, at 5:07 AM, Pål Bergström wrote:
3275da7fdbd73cb4e7956fd0d29164de?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Bergstrom (palb)
on 2006-05-24 16:15
Anthony Carlos wrote:
> Yes, you can put it into your ~/.bash_profile. However, it won't
> become active until you log out and log back in. To see if it is
> active, use the env command and look for the PATH variable. Does it
> start with /usr/local/bin (it should, according to your post below)?
>
> On May 24, 2006, at 5:07 AM, Pål Bergström wrote:

Got it working! With both Locomotive and "directly".

I will try to get started and learn Ruby on Rails. But it's not that
easy to understand. I think I'll have a look at Ruby first.

Anyway, I understand that there are several tools in Rails that make
things easy to develop. I wonder if that is a smart way to go or if it
makes you limited in what you can do? And what control do I have over
the layout and design, where to define css, etc?
30ee518e6fdc5b07e060775b5a542bdb?d=identicon&s=25 Jón Borgþórsson (jongretar)
Complete control. RoR is all about the tools. It does not limit you in
any way. Just makes it faster. No need really to dive into Ruby first.
Just start Railing and the rest will come naturally.

On 5/24/06, Pål Bergström <pal@palbergstrom.com> wrote:

3275da7fdbd73cb4e7956fd0d29164de?d=identicon&s=25 Paul Bergstrom (palb)
on 2006-05-24 16:49
Jón Borgþórsson wrote:
> Complete control. RoR is all about the tools. It does not limit you in
> any way. Just makes it faster. No need really to dive into Ruby first.
> Just start Railing and the rest will come naturally.
>
> On 5/24/06, Pål Bergström <pal@palbergstrom.com> wrote:

> --

Ok. Thanks.