Forum: Ruby Does it do clientside?

Ba2582cd50a59359ac3f7305ad2a0429?d=identicon&s=25 ReggW (Guest)
on 2006-05-24 10:15
When it comes to the Web, is Ruby a Serverside or Clientside language?

 If clientside, how would you get that to work?

 Thanks
5d15f83f0e681b138d95f1ec430868fa?d=identicon&s=25 Joey (Guest)
Ruby is server side.
62002cee15efcf4628cd7efc19425a07?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Becker (Guest)
It doesn't matter, Ruby is a general purpose language. You can
implement both client- and server functionality, though I'm not sure
if that distinction makes sense.

If you mean Rails, that's a Ruby framework that is used to implement
dynamic websites (roughly speaking), so more on the server side.

>  If clientside, how would you get that to work?

Not sure what you mean? Are you asking for examples of what type of
client software that can be programmed in Ruby?

   -tim
7b4707f974af261f71943e1f2046c9ee?d=identicon&s=25 Son SonOfLilit (Guest)
Ruby isn't a web client side scripting language pre-se.
Java, Javascript and Actionscript would be the only standard web
client-side
scripting languages (vbscript is also implemented in IE which has a VERY
large market share, so you might add it to the list).

But some very wise people from the Rails developement group have created
RJS, a templating language that enables translation of Ruby code to JS
code
- so one might in a way use Ruby as a client-side scripting language for
the
web.
E3ca69382186f5bce8b43ff5f0cb2287?d=identicon&s=25 kate rhodes (Guest)
As someone elses post hinted, your question is too ambiguous.
Do you mean it in the context of web pages? By "client side" do you mean
runs in the browser? If so then no, it's not client side. But, if by
"client
side" you mean can you write desktop apps that have GUIs with it then
yes,
you can.

-Kate == masukomi
Ba2582cd50a59359ac3f7305ad2a0429?d=identicon&s=25 ReggW (Guest)
on 2006-05-24 19:21
Son SonOfLilit wrote:
> Ruby isn't a web client side scripting language pre-se.
> Java, Javascript and Actionscript would be the only standard web
> client-side
> scripting languages (vbscript is also implemented in IE which has a VERY
> large market share, so you might add it to the list).
>
> But some very wise people from the Rails developement group have created
> RJS, a templating language that enables translation of Ruby code to JS
> code
> - so one might in a way use Ruby as a client-side scripting language for
> the
> web.

Thank you, do you know how reliable RJS is and do you have a link to it?
E3ca69382186f5bce8b43ff5f0cb2287?d=identicon&s=25 kate rhodes (Guest)
RJS is part of rails. It's reliable, but, the conversion from ruby to js
happens on the serverside.
- kate = masukomi