Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby on Rails: Up and Running: Rough Cuts Version

C09a7adfa900a4b49939e65dd64f2a2a?d=identicon&s=25 Nathan P. Verni (Guest)
Anyone read the rough cuts of this book?  I'm interested in checking it
out because Bruce Tate's work is always great.  How does it compare to
the agile books (2nd edition) in terms of timeliness, difficulty, etc.

Thanks!

Nathan
E4b8c35c29cfcaea3c2101193417466b?d=identicon&s=25 Gene Kahn (kublai)
on 2006-05-24 01:45
Nathan P. Verni wrote:
> Anyone read the rough cuts of this book?  I'm interested in checking it
> out because Bruce Tate's work is always great.  How does it compare to
> the agile books (2nd edition) in terms of timeliness, difficulty, etc.
>

> Thanks!
>
> Nathan

The Photo Share example application covers a lot more ground and depth
than the AWDwR2 depot application, and yet I don't feel overwhelmed.
That may be because I have gone through the depot application already.
HABTM is starting to make sense to me now, and a hierarchical
self-referencing model (categories within categories) seems learnable
after all! I like that it doesn't just tell you to add, for example,
has_many :somethings, to a class, but it also shows in a table what
methods and attributes such an addition makes available. The book has
plenty of typos that can send the unwary to hours of wasted effort.
Thinking of buying one but not the other book? Looking back (easy to do
because I haven't gone any distance at all), the learning steps that
would have been efficient for me: First, the instant gratification
tutorial in AWDwR2, then Curt Hibbs 2-part O'Reilly tutorial, then the
AWDwR2 depot application, then RoRUpAndRunning Photo Share tutorial (I
have not gone through David Black's tutorial). When you are learning
something as complex as Rails, at night and on weekends, the right
material at the right time matters most.