Forum: Ruby on Rails OT: best books

43ec5998360a0cc21b51afef1781e9c0?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Higginbotham (danieldaniel)
Hopefully this isn't completely inappropriate, but lately I've been
curious
about what books people have found most helpful in their development as
programmers.  If one of the icons like Dave Thomas, DHH, Mike Clark,
Andy
Hunt et al could weigh in that'd be awesome :)

Here are some of my favorites:
Refactoring, Martin Fowler
Mastering Regular Expressions, Friedl (regex's rock!!)
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, Abelson and Sussman
	(the above made my head explode when I was in high school)
Head First Design Patterns (because the GoF book put me to sleep)
Agile Development with Ruby on Rails (because it went through the
process
of making a web site in an awesome way)
The Pragmatic Programmer

So what am I missing out on? :)

Daniel
On 5/23/06, Daniel Higginbotham <daniel@flyingmachinestudios.com> wrote:
> Head First Design Patterns (because the GoF book put me to sleep)
> Agile Development with Ruby on Rails (because it went through the process
> of making a web site in an awesome way)
> The Pragmatic Programmer

It sort of depends what field you're working in as a programmer.
119af50160cabfe1fb6f2f05f5018c64?d=identicon&s=25 James Ludlow (Guest)
On 5/23/06, Daniel Higginbotham <daniel@flyingmachinestudios.com> wrote:
> Hopefully this isn't completely inappropriate, but lately I've been curious
> about what books people have found most helpful in their development as
> programmers.  If one of the icons like Dave Thomas, DHH, Mike Clark, Andy
> Hunt et al could weigh in that'd be awesome :)
>
> Here are some of my favorites:
> Mastering Regular Expressions, Friedl (regex's rock!!)

Agreed.  This book is amazing.

The GoF book is on my list, but if that's too dry for you "Java Design
Patterns: A Tutorial" is well done and easier to read.

I'd also add "The Design and Evolution of C++" to the list.

-- James
4dd3a635239b88c8005b21c233074379?d=identicon&s=25 Tony Perrie (Guest)
I've implemented a cookie-based LDAP login with Instiki, and now I want
use that same system somehow to allow access to mailman.  The
problem is, Mailman is running on a different VirtualHost than Instiki.
>From what I've read, it's unpossible to read a cookie from a different URL
even if the TLD is the same.  Is it possible to maintain an
authentication
from an Instiki cookie without requiring another login from Mailman?

Tony
4dd3a635239b88c8005b21c233074379?d=identicon&s=25 Tony Perrie (Guest)
One stupid idea that we had was to use http-access2 to send a POST
variable with the session key from Instiki to a custom script on
the Mailman VirtualHost that would write out a cookie.  Is there a
better
way that doesn't involve this level of craziness?

Tony
4dd3a635239b88c8005b21c233074379?d=identicon&s=25 Tony Perrie (Guest)
My previous post was totally wrong, we'd need to write javascript to do
POST to the other VirtualHost to write out a client side cookie on the
Mailman VHost from Instiki.  We could _not_ use http-access2 from the
server side to do this.  Is there an RJS template for something like
this?
;-)

Tony
4dd3a635239b88c8005b21c233074379?d=identicon&s=25 Tony Perrie (Guest)
I'm attempting to write a cookie with :domain set to the entire TLD of
our
Intranet as a potential solution to this problem.  Any other suggestions
are welcome.

Tony