Forum: Ruby Shameless plug of my web 2.0 app

4b4a055dfbd300fe63274fe20c96da18?d=identicon&s=25 Adrian D. (jojojobbins)
on 2006-05-23 13:35
Apologies if this is out of place. I just wanted to mention to the list
that I've completed my first Ruby on Rails app and wanted to show it to
you guys. The site is The Best Stuff in the World! which you can reach
here: http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/

Any thoughts would be great, I can be reached at adrian@mindjar.com.

I've been lurking here for a little while, and well, it has been a great
resource and help for me. I just wanted to say thanks to you guys. Ruby
has been fun to program in, coming from a WebObjects/Java/PHP5 Refugee.

All the best.

Adrian DeWitts
http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/
F75221c4f7ce5644a2c9085f7e2b4b6c?d=identicon&s=25 Pete P. (ppalmer)

Is there some sort of "Rails Theme" out there? All the Rails sites I
have
seen have a very similar simple layout. Is this just everyone designer
similar sites or is there some sort of pseduo standard out there that
anyone (i.e. me) can use?

Cheers,

Pete
Charlie Bowman (Guest)
I can't get his site to load, but I have noticed that rails is causing a
lot of programmers to try to be designers also.  Rails makes it so easy
for us to code, that we immediately start creating sites.  That's why a
lot of rails sites seem to have the same simple layout.....at least
that's my theory.

Charlie Bowman
http://www.recentrambles.com
Leslie Viljoen (Guest)
On 5/23/06, Adrian DeWitts <adrian@mindjar.com> wrote:
> Apologies if this is out of place. I just wanted to mention to the list
> that I've completed my first Ruby on Rails app and wanted to show it to
> you guys. The site is The Best Stuff in the World! which you can reach
> here: http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/

This site is the best!
Michael Gorsuch (Guest)
Ha!  I dig it.
F75221c4f7ce5644a2c9085f7e2b4b6c?d=identicon&s=25 Pete P. (ppalmer)

All these sites that are similar to Basecamp i.e Blinksales and Fluxiom
-
they all use credit cards and all have 30 day trials etc etc. Does
anyone
know what payment providers they use and how they integrate into them?
Any
advice would be great because I'll need to do the same thing for Miracle
:)

Cheers,

Pete
4b4a055dfbd300fe63274fe20c96da18?d=identicon&s=25 Adrian D. (jojojobbins)
on 2006-05-23 17:10
Pete Palmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there some sort of "Rails Theme" out there? All the Rails sites I
> have
> seen have a very similar simple layout. Is this just everyone designer
> similar sites or is there some sort of pseduo standard out there that
> anyone (i.e. me) can use?
>
> Cheers,
>

> Pete

Hi, I just did the Backend. Luke Wong is the guy who did the front end.
Luke is into the CSS designers out there, and he loves working hard on
the CSS. The question he asks, other designers, and us Rails programmers
is how can we communicate the many things we need to communicate with
our designs? I think a lot of people have figured that out already, and
we're 'inspired' by those designs.

Ah gees, I'm talking shiet, sorry it's 1:10 AM here.

Adrian
James Britt (Guest)
Peter Palmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there some sort of "Rails Theme" out there? All the Rails sites I have
> seen have a very similar simple layout. Is this just everyone designer
> similar sites or is there some sort of pseduo standard out there that
> anyone (i.e. me) can use?

See "Web 2.0 Design... in a nutshell"

http://www.vipedio.com/roman/blog/20culture_full.html

--
James Britt

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little
  time to change that here and there."
  - Richard P. Feynman
James Britt (Guest)
Charlie Bowman wrote:
> I can't get his site to load, but I have noticed that rails is causing a
> lot of programmers to try to be designers also.  Rails makes it so easy
> for us to code, that we immediately start creating sites.  That's why a
> lot of rails sites seem to have the same simple layout.....at least
> that's my theory.

I suspect "VB Syndrome"

--

Adrian DeWitts wrote:
> Apologies if this is out of place. I just wanted to mention to the list
> that I've completed my first Ruby on Rails app and wanted to show it to
> you guys. The site is The Best Stuff in the World! which you can reach
> here: http://www.thebeststuffintheworld.com/

Reminds me somewhat of Rate It All

http://www.rateitall.com/
4b4a055dfbd300fe63274fe20c96da18?d=identicon&s=25 Adrian D. (jojojobbins)
on 2006-05-23 17:22
Charlie Bowman wrote:
> I can't get his site to load, but I have noticed that rails is causing a
> lot of programmers to try to be designers also.  Rails makes it so easy
> for us to code, that we immediately start creating sites.  That's why a
> lot of rails sites seem to have the same simple layout.....at least
> that's my theory.
>
> Charlie Bowman
> http://www.recentrambles.com

Yeah the server had a little bit of a sook, but it seems ok now.

I've been looking at the sea of Web 2.0 sites out there (plenty of Rails
sites), and it blows my mind. I guess we all hope that our ideas are
something unique. Who knows? In the end, the fun is in the coding.

Adrian
Justin Meyer (Guest)
Hi Peter!

On Tue, 23 May 2006, Peter Palmer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> All these sites that are similar to Basecamp i.e Blinksales and Fluxiom -
> they all use credit cards and all have 30 day trials etc etc. Does anyone
> know what payment providers they use and how they integrate into them? Any
> advice would be great because I'll need to do the same thing for Miracle
> :)

Full Disclosure: I work for a payment gateway, though I'm not really any
good for technical support thereof.

Authorize.net seems to work on the basis of a relatively simple
HTTP-based protocol that anybody can implement. Feature-wise I don't
know what they're capable of, but look into Payment::Authorize at
http://rubyforge.org/projects/payment/ (or gem install payment) for the
simple cases.

PayPal's Express Checkout can be implemented via SOAP calls; SOAP4R
(http://dev.ctor.org/soap4r) or ActionWebservice might serve you well
here.

VeriSign Payment Services (now owned by PayPal) provides a binary SDK
for most platforms, with a boatload of features, but no Ruby bindings.

Those are the major gateways I'm aware of. There's a ton of other,
smaller gateways out there, but I expect those major platforms are the
ones you're most likely to find others have implemented successfully.