Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby on Rails: Up and Running

E4b8c35c29cfcaea3c2101193417466b?d=identicon&s=25 Gene Kahn (kublai)
on 2006-05-23 11:54
hello,

On page 49 of the beta version of Ruby on Rails: Up and Running, the
book suggests to download a zip file containing everything that has been
done up to that point, and a create_tables_with_data.sql file. The book
doesn't have the link, and I couldn't find it in the book site. Does
anyone know where to get the files?

This is a very good book.

Thanks.
E28c35323f624b8b9ed8712e25105454?d=identicon&s=25 Ray Baxter (Guest)

http://www.manning-source.com/books/black/black_R4RCode.zip

> This is a very good book.

Agreed. I wish my hard copy that I ordered almost two months ago would
come. Apparently there was "a problem with some orders" and then the
first run ran out. Arggh.

--

Ray
E4b8c35c29cfcaea3c2101193417466b?d=identicon&s=25 Gene Kahn (kublai)
Gene Kahn wrote:
> hello,
>
> On page 49 of the beta version of Ruby on Rails: Up and Running, the
> book suggests to download a zip file containing everything that has been
> done up to that point, and a create_tables_with_data.sql file. The book
> doesn't have the link, and I couldn't find it in the book site. Does
> anyone know where to get the files?
>
> This is a very good book.
>
> Thanks.

This is Curt Hibbs and Bruce Tate's book to be published by O'Reilly.
7bed1e4aef478456eb67be088f113285?d=identicon&s=25 Bert Jensen (Guest)
on 2006-05-24 00:45
Did you ever find that code? I could not find it on the book site
either.

Gene Kahn wrote:
> Gene Kahn wrote:
>> hello,
>>
>> On page 49 of the beta version of Ruby on Rails: Up and Running, the
>> book suggests to download a zip file containing everything that has been
>> done up to that point, and a create_tables_with_data.sql file. The book
>> doesn't have the link, and I couldn't find it in the book site. Does
>> anyone know where to get the files?
>>
>> This is a very good book.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> This is Curt Hibbs and Bruce Tate's book to be published by O'Reilly.
E4b8c35c29cfcaea3c2101193417466b?d=identicon&s=25 Gene Kahn (kublai)
on 2006-05-24 01:56
Bert Jensen wrote:
> Did you ever find that code? I could not find it on the book site
> either.
>

> Gene Kahn wrote:
>> Gene Kahn wrote:
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> On page 49 of the beta version of Ruby on Rails: Up and Running, the
>>> book suggests to download a zip file containing everything that has been
>>> done up to that point, and a create_tables_with_data.sql file. The book
>>> doesn't have the link, and I couldn't find it in the book site. Does
>>> anyone know where to get the files?
>>>
>>> This is a very good book.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> This is Curt Hibbs and Bruce Tate's book to be published by O'Reilly.

No. But I went ahead anyway, and I haven't had an error yet, so far. You
just have to make up your own jpg files for the photos.

good luck.
C475cffda1800fbc3f3af17bc10c220f?d=identicon&s=25 Curt Hibbs (Guest)
I'll send you the zip file in a separate email. O'Rielly doesn't have it
up
yet.

Curt
E4b8c35c29cfcaea3c2101193417466b?d=identicon&s=25 Gene Kahn (kublai)
on 2006-05-24 11:05
Curt Hibbs wrote:
> I'll send you the zip file in a separate email. O'Rielly doesn't have it
> up
> yet.
>
> Curt

Got the zip file. Thank you!
Hi --

On Tue, 23 May 2006, Ray Baxter wrote:

>> This is a very good book.
>
> Agreed. I wish my hard copy that I ordered almost two months ago would come.
> Apparently there was "a problem with some orders" and then the first run ran
> out. Arggh.

I'm pleased to have my book mentioned and praised but it actually
isn't the book Gene was talking about.  He was talking about "Ruby on
Rails: Up and Running" by Bruce Tate and Curt Hibbs.  You'll get very
confused if you try to read the other book and run my code at the same
time :-)

I'm not sure where its source code is for that.  I'm getting a 400
from http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/rubyrails/.

Re: Ruby for Rails: I don't know what the delay is at Manning.  I'll
mention it to them.

David

--
David A. Black (dblack@wobblini.net)
* Ruby Power and Light, LLC (http://www.rubypowerandlight.com)
   > Ruby and Rails consultancy and training
* Author of "Ruby for Rails" from Manning Publications!
   > http://www.manning.com/black
119af50160cabfe1fb6f2f05f5018c64?d=identicon&s=25 James Ludlow (Guest)
> Re: Ruby for Rails: I don't know what the delay is at Manning.  I'll
> mention it to them.

This is what Manning customer support told me on May 15 regarding this
issue.  FWIW, I still have not received my hard copy.
-----------

I just found out about the issue with ruby for rails.
We recently switched to a new ordering system which
caused a bit of trouble during the overlap. Normally
all preorders are shipped in order recieved, but
during the transition preorders from the new system
were shipped before those from the old. In addition
Ruby for Rails is doing much better than we
anticipated! Our distributor actually ran out of books
before all the preorders could be filled. We're
rushing additional inventory to them now. Thank you
for your patience, all orders should be shipped soon.
dblack@wobblini.net wrote:

> I'm pleased to have my book mentioned and praised but it actually
> isn't the book Gene was talking about.  He was talking about "Ruby on
> Rails: Up and Running" by Bruce Tate and Curt Hibbs.  You'll get very
> confused if you try to read the other book and run my code at the same
> time :-)

The difference between "for" and "on" is significant in this context.

My mistake.

--

Ray