Forum: Ruby on Rails text_field_with_auto_complete part II (newbie question)

316c03a99e8ed311e5462d94f085fc2e?d=identicon&s=25 John Ivanoff (Guest)
now that tha auto complete works (thanks Craig) I'm at a stumbling point
again.

here's the situation.

I have a text box that gets populated from the auto complete that has
"ivanoff, john" and I want to add him to a list of approved users.

how do I get the id to add to the employees_users table?
do I need to look up the employee in the employee table or can I get
the id from the object?
still grasping OO

I've googled and googled.

thanks.
On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 14:08 -0500, John Ivanoff wrote:
> still grasping OO
>
> I've googled and googled.
----
If you look at the sample code that I included, it tosses in the 'id' as
well which you can get out in your controller code with a 'split'

Craig
316c03a99e8ed311e5462d94f085fc2e?d=identicon&s=25 John Ivanoff (Guest)
I noticed that.
In my old web thinking, I think I need to pass the 'id' to the
controller so I can add them to the table.
Do I need to populate a field in the form to pass the id to the
controller or is there another way to get it?
can I extract the id from the employee object?

if I need to populate a field in the form for the id, how do I add the
id to a field when someone click on the drop down from the auto
complete?

obviously the
@employee = Employee.find(params[:id])
won't work.

but I can't find by name because there could be more than one "jim
jones"

ok I'm rambling...