Forum: Ruby Re: Zed and Luis drop the bomb on Ruby's poor performance

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
2cf408af3f08d3575c9cd7697158a8f1?d=identicon&s=25 Jamal Mazrui (Guest)
on 2006-05-22 19:16
(Received via mailing list)
A couple weeks ago I asked whether YARV could compile most Ruby programs
on Win32 (since I could not figure out a satisfactory answer from web
pages to which I was referred).  I am still hoping that someone can
apprise me as to the viability of doing this at present.  Are
stand-alone Windows executables possible?  Is Ruby 1.9 required or does
1.84 work?  Can most .rbw programs be compiled?  What kind of
performance gain is typical?

Thanks,
Jamal
58479f76374a3ba3c69b9804163f39f4?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Hodel (Guest)
on 2006-05-22 23:09
(Received via mailing list)
On May 22, 2006, at 10:13 AM, Jamal Mazrui wrote:

> A couple weeks ago I asked whether YARV could compile most Ruby
> programs
> on Win32 (since I could not figure out a satisfactory answer from web
> pages to which I was referred).  I am still hoping that someone can
> apprise me as to the viability of doing this at present.  Are
> stand-alone Windows executables possible?  Is Ruby 1.9 required or
> does
> 1.84 work?  Can most .rbw programs be compiled?  What kind of
> performance gain is typical?

I grabbed a copy of yarv and tried it out on my powerbook.  It was
dead-simple to do.  You should try this yourself, I bet it'll take
you all of an hour including time for a coffee break.

PS: Don't hijack threads, or, Don't trim context.  Both are
considered Very Bad Form.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.segment7.net
This implementation is HODEL-HASH-9600 compliant

http://trackmap.robotcoop.com
31ab75f7ddda241830659630746cdd3a?d=identicon&s=25 Austin Ziegler (Guest)
on 2006-05-23 05:28
(Received via mailing list)
On 5/22/06, Jamal Mazrui <Jamal.Mazrui@fcc.gov> wrote:
> A couple weeks ago I asked whether YARV could compile most Ruby programs
> on Win32 (since I could not figure out a satisfactory answer from web
> pages to which I was referred).  I am still hoping that someone can
> apprise me as to the viability of doing this at present.  Are
> stand-alone Windows executables possible?  Is Ruby 1.9 required or does
> 1.84 work?  Can most .rbw programs be compiled?  What kind of
> performance gain is typical?

This is not the purpose of YARV. YARV is not *yet* aiming for an AOT
compiler, but that's a long-term goal as I understand it. Stand-alone
executables may or may not ever be possible in that sense. YARV does
not work with Ruby 1.8.4.

YARV is still a work in progress and should only be used for
experiments, not production.

-austin
10d4acbfdaccb4eee687a428ca00a5d8?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Weirich (weirich)
on 2006-05-23 05:56
Austin Ziegler wrote:
> This is not the purpose of YARV. YARV is not *yet* aiming for an AOT
> compiler, but that's a long-term goal as I understand it.

Hmmmm ... an AOT is mentioned in the 2004 RubyConf slides
(http://zenspider.com/dl/rubyconf2004/RubyConf2004_..., slide
14 and the diagram on slide 15).[1]  According to the diagram, the AOT
will produce C source code.  Interestings

Ahhh, you did say *yet*.  Ok.  I wonder if the plans have changed from
these old slides.

-- Jim Weirich

[1] I remembered this because it was the first time I had seen the
acronym AOT.
31ab75f7ddda241830659630746cdd3a?d=identicon&s=25 Austin Ziegler (Guest)
on 2006-05-23 13:47
(Received via mailing list)
On 5/22/06, Jim Weirich <jim@weirichhouse.org> wrote:
> Austin Ziegler wrote:
> > This is not the purpose of YARV. YARV is not *yet* aiming for an AOT
> > compiler, but that's a long-term goal as I understand it.
> Hmmmm ... an AOT is mentioned in the 2004 RubyConf slides
> (http://zenspider.com/dl/rubyconf2004/RubyConf2004_..., slide
> 14 and the diagram on slide 15).[1]  According to the diagram, the AOT
> will produce C source code.  Interestings
>
> Ahhh, you did say *yet*.  Ok.  I wonder if the plans have changed from
> these old slides.

Yeah. The emphasis for YARV -- as I understand it -- is being Rite.
Then being an AOT compiler. ;) I think that Eric is right though, YARV
will probably not produce stand-alone Ruby executables, even with C
source for that. It will produce code that can be compiled and linked
against a Ruby run-time (the VM).

-austin
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.