Forum: Ruby Re: Zed and Luis drop the bomb on Ruby's poor performance

2cf408af3f08d3575c9cd7697158a8f1?d=identicon&s=25 Jamal Mazrui (Guest)
With respect, I do not agree with the argument that one should use an
external language to get speed in Ruby.  I do not know C and have no
desire to learn it. I program in Ruby partly to avoid the low level
details that C programming demands.

For the most part my Ruby programs are fast enough, but there are
noticeable slow points that cannot simply be solved by a better
algorithm.  From my reading, it seems that Python is the main competitor
to Ruby at this time.  I prefer the syntax of Ruby, but the performance
of Python is a significant point in its favor.  The more that Ruby can
eliminate this gap, the better it will fare in competition, adoption,
and third party support--in my opinion..

Regards,
Jamal
On Tue, 23 May 2006, Jamal Mazrui wrote:

> With respect, I do not agree with the argument that one should use an
> external language to get speed in Ruby.  I do not know C and have no
> desire to learn it. I program in Ruby partly to avoid the low level
> details that C programming demands.

i appreciate the sentiment.  however, saying you don't want to learn C,
but
that you want fast code is a bit like saying you want to run a marathon
but
only want to train 30 minutes three times per week - it just won't
happen.

> For the most part my Ruby programs are fast enough, but there are noticeable
> slow points that cannot simply be solved by a better algorithm.

here's a challenge:  show us one and see what the list can do.  so far
i've
never seen a case where posting to the list didn't yield huge
performance
gains.  seriously, you'll be doing the community a favour by showing
such a
concrete example - see what you can distill into a short example and
post it.
we need hard examples to work with - otherwise we are all waisting our
time
and energy.

> reading, it seems that Python is the main competitor to Ruby at this time.
> I prefer the syntax of Ruby, but the performance of Python is a significant
> point in its favor.  The more that Ruby can eliminate this gap, the better
> it will fare in competition, adoption, and third party support--in my
> opinion..

narray (numerical ruby lib) is faster than pythons.  gsl is the same.
image-magick is the same.  what specific speed difference are you
referring
to?

not trying to be difficult - let's just work with something __real__.

kind regards.

-a