Forum: Ruby Embedding ruby in aolserver (Was: Re: segfault when calling

F885676e2784d2e14bce332b0397aca3?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Aufflick (Guest)
Hmm I see. That could be a bit of a problem for my application given
that aolserver is highly threaded. I'd have to make a pool of
interpreters and supervise access to them to ensure only one thread is
using each interpreter at once...

I'm also starting to look at the work going into the byte compilers -
if I could have a pool of compilers, cache the bytecode and then only
fire up a vm for each request that might be ok.

Any timeline for thread safety?
On May 22, 2006, at 3:57 AM, Mark Aufflick wrote:

> Hmm I see. That could be a bit of a problem for my application given
> that aolserver is highly threaded. I'd have to make a pool of
> interpreters and supervise access to them to ensure only one thread is
> using each interpreter at once...

Making a pool of interpreters could have it's own problems. AFAIK,
Ruby doesn't support multiple interpreters in the same process.
F885676e2784d2e14bce332b0397aca3?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Aufflick (Guest)
Yes, they would have to be in seperate processes, which then loses the
benefits of aolservers fantastic inter-thread communication.

Maybe I should just help out with one of the VM projects and make sure
that they are thread safe. The interpreter at least - the compiler
being thread safe is not as important.
On May 22, 2006, at 9:52 PM, Mark Aufflick wrote:

I'm pretty sure JRuby is thread safe. Can aolserver talk to Java? It
could be a sort of stop-gap solution.
F885676e2784d2e14bce332b0397aca3?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Aufflick (Guest)
Very interesting idea - is JRuby 100% compatible/compliant with regular
ruby?