Forum: GNU Radio Intel Mac GNURadio Install Update Soon

821c1adf3f4be2f2aa6fbc89cce4c69a?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Dickens (Guest)
I finally got access to an Intel Mac for a couple of days last week,
and sometime in the next couple of days I'll be posting updates to
the install scripts to handle the needs of both PPC and Intel OSX
installs.  It wasn't really that hard since I've done it all before,
and I can say definitely that a MacBook Pro (Core Duo 2.0 GHz) is
much faster than a dual G5 @ 2.0 GHz (like about 2-2.5x faster in
compile time alone).  Very impressive machines these new Intel Macs.
The Intel Macs also bring the USB functionality up to 32 MBps, which
is on par with Linux at least w/r.t. GNURadio's USRP.  The only
significant runtime glitch that I can find is that the FUSB_darwin
code needs to do endianness translation now, but that's relatively
simple to add (just difficult to test w/o an Intel Mac around to test
on; any volunteers?). - MLD
3719f4fea703e38bcbf8de6fe6bcdf55?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Dvh (Guest)
Michael Dickens wrote:
> endianness translation now, but that's relatively  simple to add (just
> difficult to test w/o an Intel Mac around to test  on; any volunteers?).
If anyone has osX running on a non-mac x86 machine this should also
probably be enough to test the endian related issues.
I know there is doubt wether it is legal to run OsX on a non-mac
machine, but I also now that several people have done it and that it is
technically possible.
You do need a machine which has at least SSE,SSE2 , it works much better
if the machine also has SSE3.
Since my machine has no SSE at all, I am not volunteering.
(I still work on an early generation athlon which only has 3Dnow)

greetings,
Martin