Forum: Ruby on Rails Looking for a Rails AJAX gallery/tutorial

F3dc06f587d1ff4c7366b102bfda9204?d=identicon&s=25 David Mitchell (Guest)
Hello everyone,

Do any of you know of a downloadable Rails app that demonstrates all
the bundled AJAX-iness in an impressive form?

I'm looking for two things:
- something I can show off to wow people with Rails' built-in AJAX
power, then show them the code that does the work and wow them again
with the simplicity.  In short, something that will impress potential
customers, as well as developers
- something I can use as a tutorial, both for myself and to bring
others up to speed.  I can find plenty of AJAX and/or Rails info
around, but nothing that ties together *all* the built-in Rails AJAX
info in one place with relatively newbie-friendly documentation and
in-use examples that are visually impressive

Conceptually, I want to have this app sitting on my laptop, so when
the opportunity comes up to be a Rails fanboy, I can fire it up and
show it off.  Also, if I need either a brain jogger or a reference for
how some AJAX feature works, I can get it out of the same app in a
reasonable amount of detail.

I don't particularly want a useful app, just one that shows off all
the Rails/AJAX power in such a way that people will think "Hmm, it'd
be really useful to have that capability in MY app...".

If such an app doesn't already exist, I can start to put something
together, but I'm short of available time and my skills are in backend
stuff rather than CSS/UI goodness.  I'd strongly prefer to contribute
to a project that already exists, rather than start one from scratch.

Anyone, anyone?

Thanks in advance

Dave M.
7813d26c8ef483e08432ec9c574664d6?d=identicon&s=25 Guest (Guest)
on 2006-05-21 12:22
These aren't exactly downloadable, but source code is provided (you'll
have to put in a decent amount of work to get some of them running
locally though):

http://demo.script.aculo.us/
A0c079a7c3c9b2cf0bffebd84dc578b0?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
On May 20, 2006, at 7:46 PM, David Mitchell wrote:

> - something I can use as a tutorial, both for myself and to bring
>
> I don't particularly want a useful app, just one that shows off all
> the Rails/AJAX power in such a way that people will think "Hmm, it'd
> be really useful to have that capability in MY app...".
>
> If such an app doesn't already exist, I can start to put something
> together, but I'm short of available time and my skills are in backend
> stuff rather than CSS/UI goodness.  I'd strongly prefer to contribute
> to a project that already exists, rather than start one from scratch.

Take a look at the revised "depot" application from AWDR 2nd edition
(PDF only right now). Dave Thomas rewrote a bunch of it to use AJAX
in addition to some AJAX special effects (highlighting and whatnot).
It doesn't exercise *every* cool AJAX element but it's probably a
decent enough foundation for you to add a few more effects.

Go to pragmaticprogrammer.com and look for it (it'll cost you $20 or
so for the PDF).

cr
58c6efb8466b9f85155fe6aa9fc37fce?d=identicon&s=25 Chris T (Guest)
David Mitchell wrote:
> - something I can use as a tutorial, both for myself and to bring
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> Dave M.

I haven't used it but there's tableau:

http://creativi.st/blog/articles/2006/02/27/tableau
D90ef6808433e63203e15a5c2dadb0bb?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Reubenstein (Guest)
> I haven't used it but there's tableau:
>
> http://creativi.st/blog/articles/2006/02/27/tableau

I hacked a simple gallery from tableau.  It is a great kick start to
get your app going.

~ Ben

> > customers, as well as developers
> > reasonable amount of detail.
> > Anyone, anyone?
>
> http://creativi.st/blog/articles/2006/02/27/tableau

Ben Reubenstein
303-947-0446
http://www.benr75.com
685df76ebeb6c0d61ff5e0284830f691?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Cheetham (Guest)
On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 10:46:47AM +1000, David Mitchell wrote:
> Do any of you know of a downloadable Rails app that demonstrates all
> the bundled AJAX-iness in an impressive form?
>
> I'm looking for two things:
> - something I can show off to wow people with Rails' built-in AJAX
> power, then show them the code that does the work and wow them again
> with the simplicity.  In short, something that will impress potential
> customers, as well as developers

Well, the ajax_scaffold works well ...
Gets the direct-from-database CRUD in one hit (model validations an
extra, of course) and all the CRUD is ajax'd ...

-jim