Forum: Ruby on Rails rmagick->X11 on MacTel Howto?

B8455b4ee097895e618befb01510abe2?d=identicon&s=25 Bakki K. (bakki)
I needed to install rmagick/GraphicsMagick on an IntelMac and did so
from Darwinports. Some things work and others don't work, like
rendering fonts which needs  X11 fonts and X server. The rmagick page
at rubyforge points to ..
http://developer.apple.com/opensource/tools/runningx11.html
where X11 link to Apple is broken.
X11User.pkg talked about on the page above no longer exists at Apple.
Googling found a X11.app which also I wan't able to find.

There is only a XFree86 download I found at Apple which is a .sit
archive which has a post date of  Aug 2002 and looks highly doubtful.

Can some one please tell me howto install X11 on OSX 10.4.6?  TIA,

-bakk
73056ab5a9659869183c6a5a83e7da36?d=identicon&s=25 Jón B. (jongretar)
It should be on your Tiger DVD. Along with Xcode developer tools you
will need.
Apple's X11 is also here:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/x11for...

On 5/19/06, Bakki Kudva <bakki.kudva@gmail.com> wrote:
> archive which has a post date of  Aug 2002 and looks highly doubtful.
>
> Can some one please tell me howto install X11 on OSX 10.4.6?  TIA,
>
> -bakk

B8455b4ee097895e618befb01510abe2?d=identicon&s=25 Bakki K. (bakki)
Jon,

Thanks a bunch, don't know why a search at apple doesn't bring that link
up!

-bakki
Kevin Olbrich (Guest)
On Friday, May 19, 2006, at 10:46 AM, Bakki Kudva wrote:
>> Apple's X11 is also here:
>> > X11User.pkg talked about on the page above no longer exists at Apple.
>> > Rails@lists.rubyonrails.org
>> Rails@lists.rubyonrails.org

You could install locomotive, which has a rmagick/imagemagick bundle.
_Kevin
B8455b4ee097895e618befb01510abe2?d=identicon&s=25 Bakki K. (bakki)
Thank you for the suggestion Kevin. But I am already on Darwinports. I
installed X11 off my DVD as Jon suggested, installed GaphicsMagick,
delegate libs, and ghostscript from Darwinports and finally rmagick
gem. Now my software is working.  I  also develop on Debian Sarge
workstations where Rails install/development went very smoothly for
me. Not knowing OSX at all I had a bit of a learning curve to get
every thing setup.

-bakki

On 19 May 2006 15:00:34 -0000, Kevin Olbrich
D0802a5ae80c2a40a9ef07967c6dc362?d=identicon&s=25 Mike G. (random52k)
Apple really should update it's pages to say "Looking for X11?  It's
no longer available on the website, but you'll find it on your Tiger
DVD".. I too had a similar problem when I first installed Tiger, since
when I was using Panther, X11 was a manual download when it first came
out.

Mike
B8455b4ee097895e618befb01510abe2?d=identicon&s=25 Bakki K. (bakki)
On the dvd too it was not obvious where x11 was and which installer
pkg to fire up. Finally I called Apple and they walked me thro it.
Even the tech support guy wasn't too sure and it took a couple of
tries opening up packages. I wish they had a list of apps and which
packages they are in some where at the root of the dvd. Or since OSX
has such a cool GUI they could list them as you hover over the pkg
with your mouse :)

-bakki