Forum: Ruby on Rails rmagick->X11 on MacTel Howto?

Bakki K. (Guest)
I needed to install rmagick/GraphicsMagick on an IntelMac and did so
from Darwinports. Some things work and others don't work, like
rendering fonts which needs  X11 fonts and X server. The rmagick page
at rubyforge points to ..
http://developer.apple.com/opensource/tools/runningx11.html
where X11 link to Apple is broken.
X11User.pkg talked about on the page above no longer exists at Apple.
Googling found a X11.app which also I wan't able to find.

There is only a XFree86 download I found at Apple which is a .sit
archive which has a post date of  Aug 2002 and looks highly doubtful.

Can some one please tell me howto install X11 on OSX 10.4.6?  TIA,

-bakk
Jón B. (Guest)
It should be on your Tiger DVD. Along with Xcode developer tools you
will need.
Apple's X11 is also here:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/x11for...

On 5/19/06, Bakki K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> archive which has a post date of  Aug 2002 and looks highly doubtful.
>
> Can some one please tell me howto install X11 on OSX 10.4.6?  TIA,
>
> -bakk

Bakki K. (Guest)
Jon,

Thanks a bunch, don't know why a search at apple doesn't bring that link
up!

-bakki
Kevin O. (Guest)
On Friday, May 19, 2006, at 10:46 AM, Bakki K. wrote:
>> Apple's X11 is also here:
>> > X11User.pkg talked about on the page above no longer exists at Apple.
>> > removed_email_address@domain.invalid
>> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

You could install locomotive, which has a rmagick/imagemagick bundle.
_Kevin
Bakki K. (Guest)
Thank you for the suggestion Kevin. But I am already on Darwinports. I
installed X11 off my DVD as Jon suggested, installed GaphicsMagick,
delegate libs, and ghostscript from Darwinports and finally rmagick
gem. Now my software is working.  I  also develop on Debian Sarge
workstations where Rails install/development went very smoothly for
me. Not knowing OSX at all I had a bit of a learning curve to get
every thing setup.

-bakki

On 19 May 2006 15:00:34 -0000, Kevin O.
Mike G. (Guest)
Apple really should update it's pages to say "Looking for X11?  It's
no longer available on the website, but you'll find it on your Tiger
DVD".. I too had a similar problem when I first installed Tiger, since
when I was using Panther, X11 was a manual download when it first came
out.

Mike
Bakki K. (Guest)
On the dvd too it was not obvious where x11 was and which installer
pkg to fire up. Finally I called Apple and they walked me thro it.
Even the tech support guy wasn't too sure and it took a couple of
tries opening up packages. I wish they had a list of apps and which
packages they are in some where at the root of the dvd. Or since OSX
has such a cool GUI they could list them as you hover over the pkg
with your mouse :)

-bakki