Forum: Ruby Re: ruby/gnuplot on windows

67bb4df2775f6a6b603347dce7119571?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
>So from this link, I entered in the cygwin  shell:

>startx

>and an x-shell opened.  From here I can  run

>gnuplot -persist test.plt

>and it works.  Is this  how you are doing it?  Is there a way to have 'x'
>active but  working within the cygwin shell?  The next step (which got us
>started on this whole process) would be to try to run a ruby/gnuplot
>program.  Will being in the x shell complicate  this?

>jon

well startx is a command that , in Linux, gives you access to a
graphical
interface (so people live happily with a command line, for most of their
lives).
I am not exactly an expert on Cygwin settings, so I just responded to
your
original email, after having tried the commands I wrote on my Cygwin
installation.
Maybe this is a DISPLAY variable setting thing which was done
automatically
in my setup but not in yours.. But when you've got it startx working,
you're in Cygwin and perfectly all right. You can go on from  there.
From what you've written, Cygwin runs ok (using startx), you can start
Gnuplot
and Ruby individually.
So now, the only things you must make sure now is to conform to  both
Ruby and Gnuplot syntax :-).
Best regards,

Axel
B35e9113d2d517beb19ebd9eeb4d77be?d=identicon&s=25 Jon Dean (Guest)
on 2006-05-19 19:13
> well startx is a command that , in Linux, gives you access to a
> graphical
> interface (so people live happily with a command line, for most of their
> lives).
> I am not exactly an expert on Cygwin settings, so I just responded to
> your
> original email, after having tried the commands I wrote on my Cygwin
> installation.
> Maybe this is a DISPLAY variable setting thing which was done
> automatically
> in my setup but not in yours.. But when you've got it startx working,
> you're in Cygwin and perfectly all right. You can go on from  there.
> From what you've written, Cygwin runs ok (using startx), you can start
> Gnuplot
> and Ruby individually.
> So now, the only things you must make sure now is to conform to  both
> Ruby and Gnuplot syntax :-).
> Best regards,
>
> Axel

Ok, I can live with that.  I'll give the ruby/gnuplot a try and let you
know how it goes.  Thanks.

jon
B35e9113d2d517beb19ebd9eeb4d77be?d=identicon&s=25 Jon Dean (Guest)
on 2006-05-19 19:38
> Ok, I can live with that.  I'll give the ruby/gnuplot a try and let you
> know how it goes.  Thanks.
>
> jon

ruby/gnuplot program.rb works through cygwin/x.  As one last question,
can you recommend a good text editor?  I was using the one distributed
with ruby but I can't seem to find it with the cygwin installation.

jon