Forum: Ruby Annotated Ruby API Docs

573b9499030e1ccb867ef80f0ff1ac49?d=identicon&s=25 Justin Bailey (Guest)
I don't think anyone on the list has noticed this yet, but someone has
put
up a new Ruby API site that allows user annotations, much like the
php.netsite. I love
ruby-doc.org, but I have to say the API wiki doesn't work for me. I've
never
found content on it the few times I've clicked, and since there is no
indcation in the documents what MIGHT have content, I've got little
incentive to go and look. I think this solution is very slick, and whats
more its based on a project called RAnnonate.

http://ruby.outertrack.com/

Justin
4034df6027cbecf3f4a19a711a248536?d=identicon&s=25 Steven Hansen (rooster)
That is slick!  It would be great if RoR docs had that feature!
E0c987f680cd640c14912ebfbf0f0f07?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
> That is slick!  It would be great if RoR docs had that feature!

You mean like?

    http://rails.outertrack.com/
Ff63c03fd68754adbadd2c6314646bef?d=identicon&s=25 Bill Guindon (agorilla)
On 5/18/06, Justin Bailey <jgbailey@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think anyone on the list has noticed this yet, but someone has put
> up a new Ruby API site that allows user annotations, much like the
> php.netsite. I love
> ruby-doc.org, but I have to say the API wiki doesn't work for me. I've never
> found content on it the few times I've clicked, and since there is no
> indcation in the documents what MIGHT have content, I've got little
> incentive to go and look. I think this solution is very slick, and whats
> more its based on a project called RAnnonate.
>
> http://ruby.outertrack.com/

Absolutely amazing.  I had suggested this for the Summer of Code (many
others had suggested it before me), but didn't think we'd have one
this soon.  It's gorgeous.

A huge thank you to Conor, Jamis, Matias, and Justin.
4034df6027cbecf3f4a19a711a248536?d=identicon&s=25 Steven Hansen (rooster)
Yes, exactly like that :-) .  *Bookmarked*
On 5/18/06, Bill Guindon <agorilla@gmail.com> wrote:

> Absolutely amazing.  I had suggested this for the Summer of Code (many
> others had suggested it before me), but didn't think we'd have one
> this soon.  It's gorgeous.

I saw this a few months ago at a NYC.rb meeting

I just had assumed it had been publicly announced already, otherwise I
would have thrown a link.
4034df6027cbecf3f4a19a711a248536?d=identicon&s=25 Steven Hansen (rooster)
Recently there has been a big push by the rails devs to get users to
contribute documentation to the API.  I am all for this!  However,
adding documentation is like submitting a patch.  To me, it seems like
pushing people towards:

http://rails.outertrack.com/

would be more productive as it makes adding documentation much easier.
171a9b5755cdb090e0c2b3c20a521fbc?d=identicon&s=25 Phil Hagelberg (Guest)
Steven Hansen <runner@berkeley.edu> writes:

> That is slick!  It would be great if RoR docs had that feature!

You can always hoodwink.

-Phil Hagelberg
On 5/18/06, Gregory Brown <gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/18/06, Bill Guindon <agorilla@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Absolutely amazing.  I had suggested this for the Summer of Code (many
> > others had suggested it before me), but didn't think we'd have one
> > this soon.  It's gorgeous.
>
> I saw this a few months ago at a NYC.rb meeting
>
> I just had assumed it had been publicly announced already, otherwise I
> would have thrown a link.

It seems you're right.  It's been discussed since late last year, and
announced 2 days ago, but only on the Rails list (which I haven't been
reading lately).
http://rubyurl.com/v9u
Phil Hagelberg wrote:
> Steven Hansen <runner@berkeley.edu> writes:
>

>>That is slick!  It would be great if RoR docs had that feature!
>

> You can always hoodwink.

True for ruby-doc.org, too.

--
James Britt

http://yourelevatorpitch.com  - Finding Business Focus
A402df36168b81b31c17adcbb5ae8cf4?d=identicon&s=25 Pistos Christou (pistos)
on 2006-05-19 15:15
Justin Bailey wrote:
> http://ruby.outertrack.com/

Looks like it had/has parser/generator problems.  Example:

http://ruby.outertrack.com/class/String/chomp

Pistos