Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby Before Rails

C09a7adfa900a4b49939e65dd64f2a2a?d=identicon&s=25 Nathan P. Verni (Guest)
As I, like many people, are coming to ruby in the rails era, I'm curious
about how Ruby Web Dev was done prior to rails.  Any veterans want to
share their insights?
On 5/18/06, Nathan P. Verni <nverni@blenderbox.com> wrote:
> As I, like many people, are coming to ruby in the rails era, I'm curious
> about how Ruby Web Dev was done prior to rails.  Any veterans want to share
> their insights?

A variety of different ways. Often CGI (cgi.rb), but there are other
web frameworks that existed before Rails.

-austin
B84d42a3a5c343f8fc6ab7d7f47fd3f5?d=identicon&s=25 Robby Russell (Guest)
On May 18, 2006, at 11:13 AM, Nathan P. Verni wrote:

> As I, like many people, are coming to ruby in the rails era, I?m
> curious about how Ruby Web Dev was done prior to rails.  Any
> veterans want to share their insights?

Probably much like:

perl + cgi
python + cgi
php + cgi
etc... ;-)

--
Robby Russell
Founder & Executive Director

PLANET ARGON, LLC
Ruby on Rails Development, Consulting & Hosting

www.planetargon.com
www.robbyonrails.com

+1 503 445 2457
+1 877 55 ARGON [toll free]
+1 815 642 4968 [fax]
4c76f090f2071d34da59c3cf38166587?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Raines (Guest)
Nathan P. Verni wrote:

> As I, like many people, are coming to ruby in the rails era,
> I'm curious about how Ruby Web Dev was done prior to rails.
> Any veterans want to share their insights?

http://cerise.rubyforge.org/

-Drew
B780ee0ee1480454a85df58536702f63?d=identicon&s=25 Alder Green (Guest)
On 5/18/06, Robby Russell <robby.lists@planetargon.com> wrote:
> perl + cgi
> PLANET ARGON, LLC

Actually, there were a lot of interesting ideas and implementations
(frameworks) floating around. In a sense, it's natural that Rails
emerged from Ruby. Knowing the languages you mentioned, none of them
had the variety and audacity of the toys people played with on the
Ruby web arena even prior to Rails.

[1]  should give some perspective. Something like Borges or Wee is
most definitely not likely to pop up in PHP, and afaik it doesn't have
equivalents in Python or Perl (despite both having much more time and
larger communities).

--
-Alder

[1] http://raa.ruby-lang.org/search.rhtml?search=web+framework
D449d54c3b0f8c9930c11c7d7d3e6cdd?d=identicon&s=25 Surendra Singhi (Guest)

> [1]  should give some perspective. Something like Borges or Wee is

You might find this interesting

http://common-lisp.net/project/ucw/

Cheers,
--
Surendra Singhi
Read my blog at: http://cuttingtheredtape.blogspot.com/

`----
On 5/19/06, Surendra Singhi <efuzzyone@netscape.net> wrote:
> Surendra Singhi
> Rails mailing list
> Rails@lists.rubyonrails.org

Yup. So the languages where Seaside(-like) frameworks evolved are:

Smalltalk, Ruby and Lisp.

Kind of telling, don't you think? ;)
"Alder Green" <alder.green@gmail.com> writes:

> On 5/19/06, Surendra Singhi <efuzzyone@netscape.net> wrote:
>> "Alder Green" <alder.green@gmail.com> writes:
>>
> Yup. So the languages where Seaside(-like) frameworks evolved are:
>
> Smalltalk, Ruby and Lisp.
>
> Kind of telling, don't you think? ;)

LOL. There are more. There is one for Java as well:
http://cocoon.apache.org/

There might be few in Scheme, and Haskell as well. I don't know if they
are
really Seaside-like but they all are based on the idea of
continuations(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuation).

Cheers.

--
`----