Forum: Ruby on Rails new user.

8f153c7bcf3ef5865370564513965cf4?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Pawson (Guest)
Question please.

I've bought the beta 'Agile web dev with rails'.
Are book related questions valid on the list please?

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

Welcome aboard!

Dave Pawson wrote:

> I've bought the beta 'Agile web dev with rails'.
> Are book related questions valid on the list please?

Absolutely.

Best regards,
Bill
On 18/05/06, Bill Walton <bill.walton@charter.net> wrote:
> Hi Dave,

> > I've bought the beta 'Agile web dev with rails'.
> > Are book related questions valid on the list please?

p 96 (pdf version) says
Rails makes it easy to store session data in the database. First, we
need
to create a database table with the correct layout. There's a built-in
rake
task that does just that.
depot> rake db:session:create
It you now look at your database, you'll find a new table called
sessions.

That command fails miserably with my setup (new download last week).
I had to create the database table using mysql to get it to work.
Has the sntax changed? Can rails do this?  Is there a db:migrate command
missing.
  Since everything else had worked nicely up to this point in the book,
it's a bit of a bummer to be stopped dead like that.

Suggestions please

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

rake db:sessions:create

If you want more info on rake tasks that you can run, try:

rake --tasks

I usually just highlight the task I want in the iTerm window, cmd+c and
cmd+v to cut it loose. You are running a Mac, right? :)
8f153c7bcf3ef5865370564513965cf4?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Pawson (Guest)
On 19 May 2006 05:52:31 -0000, steve ross
<devlists-rubyonrails@devlists.com> wrote:
> That should be:
>
> rake db:sessions:create

:-) All for a little s!
  Had a day at xtech 2006 on Ruby. The live demo was constantly tripping
up
over that!
 Perhaps not such a good idea with humans in the loop!
Thanks Steve.

> If you want more info on rake tasks that you can run, try:
>
> rake --tasks
I tried --help, but --tasks doesn't stand out as anything special
so I hadn't tried that.

> I usually just highlight the task I want in the iTerm window, cmd+c and
> cmd+v to cut it loose. You are running a Mac, right? :)
Not since 1984, on a Mac II
Windows based installations here.

I was impressed with the Mac editor used on the demo though.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.

I even tried doing the db:sessions:create (plural) which is supposed to
work according to this
mailing list, but I keep getting the same error message. Could you
please share your script for
creating the table? Thanks in advance.

> missing.
> Dave Pawson
> XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
> http://www.dpawson.co.uk

http://www.ProblemSolvingSkill.net
Hone your problem-solving skills
5ce55767684e0cd1727db2b8b8975640?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Longdo (Guest)
Try running rake -T in the directory with your rakefile and see what
commands are available.  If you don't see any with the db: namespace you
may
be running an older version of rake.  If I remember correctly you need
to be
running rake 0.7+ for the namespace functionality to work correctly.

-Steve
http://www.stevelongdo.com
39c5254d0a798765f37ac215fa6e0fc7?d=identicon&s=25 Curtis Spendlove (cuspendlove)
On 5/19/06, Bala Paranj <bparanj@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dave, It happened to me too. I bought it last week and I am stuck due to that, very
frustrating.
> So I decided not to buy anymore of the so called "beta" books with no online support.

<threadjack>
You would think "beta" would denote that there may be a few mistakes
in it.  And in my experience they get fixed pretty quickly.  I would
also consider this list to qualify as "online support"...
Again...it's $20.  You can spend more than that on a production
lunch...
I understand the frustrations and your feelings are valid, but we
should at least be fair.  I think the beta books are an awesome
concept.  At least you got all the rest of the value, perfect, without
having to wait a few more months for it.  :)
</threadjack>
On 19/05/06, Curtis <cuspendlove@gmail.com> wrote:

> <threadjack>
> You would think "beta" would denote that there may be a few mistakes
> in it.

Agreed. No response to my comments on the errata list left me with
other routes to seek?

create table sessions (id int(11) not null primary key,
session_id text, data text, updated_at datetime,
   index sessions (session_id (6)))

was what I used.
Maybe others, more expert in mysql, may suggest amendments.

It did leave me with problems in the 003_xxx files.

regards

DaveP

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
Bala Paranj wrote:
> Dave, It happened to me too. I bought it last week and I am stuck due to that, very
frustrating.
> So I decided not to buy anymore of the so called "beta" books with no online support.
Well, this is simply not true.
The errata is very good, and by the time i made a blog entry about this
problem here

http://www.rubyrailways.com/dbsessioncreate-proble...

somebody left a comment that this problem is already in the errata!

I have bought the book after a few days it was announced, begun with it
right away, so my blog entry was created about a week after the
announcement, and the errata already addressed this problem by then. I
would not call that "no online support".

Cheers,
Peter
Dave Pawson wrote:
> Question please.
>
> I've bought the beta 'Agile web dev with rails'.
> Are book related questions valid on the list please?

Welcome Dave,

Yes, those questions are absolutely valid here. The rails community is
one of the best communities i met so far (the other being the Ruby one)
- i am a fulltime Java developer and former Python (now Ruby/Rails)
enthusiast and also subscribed to all sorts of other MLs, but the
Ruby/Rails lists/communities win hands down. I had only one question on
this list so far which took more than several hours to get replied, all
the others were replied between a few minutes and  1-2 hours. Of course
you should always google first etc etc but generally everybody is very
helpful here.

Cheers,
Peter