Forum: GNU Radio Trouble getting USRP up and running

910f71340cbdd582e1df8d5162996f3b?d=identicon&s=25 Richard Bitter (Guest)
I'm having problems  getting the USRP up and running with GNU Radio.
 System: Fedora Core  5
 GNURadio  2.8

 everything builds  and passes make check.

 some of the test  apps in the usrp-0.12/host/apps directory work such
as:
 usrper  load_standard_bits
 usrper led1 on/off

 so i know i'm able  to talk to the USRP, but the following apps dont:
 test_usrp_standard_rx
 test_usrp_standard_tx

 both fail with an  error message of not being able to claim the USB
interface. i also get this  error when attempting to run any of the usrp
examples in the examples tar  ball.

 any help would be  appreciated,
 rick
74eb8f0b6d033d0fc97b3c33f43dc2c2?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Milner (Guest)
I actually just ran into this same problem myself.

Try running the same commands as root, they should work fine.

To be able to run them WITHOUT becoming root, you need to set up fedora
change the ownership of the usb device.  This used to be handled by
hotplug, but under fedora core 5 it is done by udev.

This link describe how to set up a gps device in fedora core 5 so that
any
user can access it.  Follow the same instructions, but use the following
changes:

http://www.gpsbabel.org/os/Linux_Hotplug.html

idVendor: fffe
idProduct:0002

Then unplug and replug the usrp.  That should make it accessible to any
user.

Mike
Thanks for posting this.

If you have a rev 4 USRP you may need to change idProduct to 0004

Matt

Matt Ettus <matt@ettus.com>
On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 10:14:14AM -0700, Richard Bitter wrote:
>  so i know i'm able  to talk to the USRP, but the following apps dont:
>  test_usrp_standard_rx
>  test_usrp_standard_tx
>
>  both fail with an  error message of not being able to claim the USB interface. i also
get this  error when attempting to run any of the usrp examples in the examples tar  ball.

>  any help would be  appreciated,
>  rick

Probably a permission problem on /proc/bus/usb/*/*

Isn't there a hotplug or udev script out there somewhere that fixes
this for FC5?

Eric