From: rails-bounces@lists.rubyonrails.org
[mailto:rails-bounces@lists.rubyonrails.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Everett
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:21 AM
To: rails@lists.rubyonrails.org
Subject: Re: [Rails] NOOB: Second post, please help...

Marcus,

When I try your facilities link_to I get a link like:

http://localhost:3000/facilities/../facilities/lis...

Which does result in @facilities being nil for me.

You might try rewriting the link as

<%= link_to 'Return to facilities', { :controller => 'facilities',
:action => 'list' }, :post => true %>

The bit that makes the link url itself in the middle should be enclosed
in {} so that rails knows where the hash begins and ends. :post is an
option, not part of the link hash.

HTH

Jeff

On 5/18/06, Marcus Blankenship <MarcusB@jeld-wen.com> wrote:

	Here is my code example:
	Fyi - in this example "facility" is the parent table to the
"permits"
	table.

	Page A (facility) links to page B (permits) using this code, and
it
	works fine.
	<%= link_to 'Permits', { :action => '..\permits\list',
:facilityid =>
	facility}, :post => true %>

	Page B (permits) then links back to page A(facility), but this
does not
	work.
	<%= link_to 'Return to facilities', :action =>
'../facilities/list',
	:post => true %>

	The error I get when going from page B -> A, is in this code in
the
	facility/list.rhtml:

	        <% for facility in @facilities %>

	The message is that @facilities is nil.  "@facilities" gets
initialized
	by the controller's 'list' property.

	Any thoughts?  Should the controller run each time the page is
accessed?
	Is there a better way to accomplish what I am trying to do?

	Thanks,
	Marcus