Forum: Ruby on Rails RE: IDE recommendations?

1f840b624a948a3f39299af25620121b?d=identicon&s=25 Ross Dawson (Guest)
> Curtis wrote:
>
> > But the best option would be to purchase a dual-core Mac (Mini or
> > MacBook) and develop on OS X...dual-booting into Windows when
> > neccessary (or another nice option mentioned has been virtualization
> > software which can run windows *inside* OS X).  Then you can have
> > TextMate...  :)  I realize this is probably not a viable option for
> > most, but it's the final straw in my Switch.  :)
>
> I was going to suggest something similar, too. :)

What that doesn't give you is autocomplete in the true sense.  TextMate
looks like it has some very nice macro expansion but not a true
autocomplete.  My definition of ac is to type an object name a period
and then see a list of methods available for that object.  As some other
poster said it's a great way to investigate/learn complex class
heirarchies without having to constantly refer to the docs.

Of course I'm not a Mac or TextMate user so I could be WAY off base
here.  TextMate looks to have very powerful macro expansion but so do
many others (perhaps not as nice tho).

Vim 7 compiled with Ruby apparently can have autocomplete but I'm yet to
a) compile it on Win32 or b) find a compiled version with Ruby embedded.
Vim is not for the timid though.  Throw a novice at most editors and
without help they could create a text document.  This is not really the
case with Vim it has an almost vertical learning curve until you "get
it".

Ross
30ee518e6fdc5b07e060775b5a542bdb?d=identicon&s=25 Jón Borgþórsson (jongretar)
I find the best way to find those is to use script/console and enable
tab completion in ".irbrc". Best way to find stuff if you need info.

Save this file as ~/.irbrc and play around in irb or in console.
http://woss.name/dist/irbrc.rb