Forum: Ruby on Rails IDE recommendations?

539a351d5e60062693df414e9bbb3465?d=identicon&s=25 Ken Kam (kenkam)
on 2006-05-17 21:51
I was wondering if there are any IDEs out there that has autocomplete
features for win32.

It would be perfect if it could do something akin to what DHH is doing
on the screencast hosted on the rails website.
http://media.rubyonrails.org/video/rails_take2_wit...

Cheers
43358b1dc76c91f999cd7258873dbcb8?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Chamberlain (Guest)
Have you checked out Komodo? (http://www.activestate.com/)
It's pretty nice...not sure about auto complete though...
30ee518e6fdc5b07e060775b5a542bdb?d=identicon&s=25 Jón Borgþórsson (jongretar)
To get close to what DHH is doing there I recomend Ultra Edit. It has
autocomplete and macros so feature wise it's the closest to TextMate.

There are Ruby word files but you might want to add to it some rails
specific actions. But it's easy to add.

On 5/17/06, Ken Kam <kenkam@gmail.com> wrote:

539a351d5e60062693df414e9bbb3465?d=identicon&s=25 Ken Kam (kenkam)
on 2006-05-17 22:05
Thanks for such quick replies! I am looking at Komodo right now. I have
tried radrails but they haven't done the autocomplete feature yet.
39c5254d0a798765f37ac215fa6e0fc7?d=identicon&s=25 Curtis Spendlove (cuspendlove)
> I was wondering if there are any IDEs out there that has autocomplete
> features for win32.

RadRails / Eclipse is probably the closest you're going to get.  I
expect those projects will include auto-complete in the near future...
 Some have stated that they like ArachnoRuby.  I'm doing very well
with RadRails.

But the best option would be to purchase a dual-core Mac (Mini or
MacBook) and develop on OS X...dual-booting into Windows when
neccessary (or another nice option mentioned has been virtualization
software which can run windows *inside* OS X).  Then you can have
TextMate...  :)  I realize this is probably not a viable option for
most, but it's the final straw in my Switch.  :)
47d626d416d9da060a44ed9f684e32cf?d=identicon&s=25 Riko (Guest)
Jon Gretar Borgthorsson wrote:

> To get close to what DHH is doing there I recomend Ultra Edit. It has
> autocomplete and macros so feature wise it's the closest to TextMate.

In my opinion (as TextMate user) it does not even come close. Probably
Komodo is the best option on windows (even if it's quite different from
TM).

--
blog:  http://www.akropolix.net/rik0/blogs |
site:  http://www.akropolix.net/rik0/      |
Curtis wrote:

> But the best option would be to purchase a dual-core Mac (Mini or
> MacBook) and develop on OS X...dual-booting into Windows when
> neccessary (or another nice option mentioned has been virtualization
> software which can run windows *inside* OS X).  Then you can have
> TextMate...  :)  I realize this is probably not a viable option for
> most, but it's the final straw in my Switch.  :)

I was going to suggest something similar, too. :)

--
blog:  http://www.akropolix.net/rik0/blogs |
site:  http://www.akropolix.net/rik0/      |
forum: http://www.akropolix.net/forum/     |
539a351d5e60062693df414e9bbb3465?d=identicon&s=25 Ken Kam (kenkam)
on 2006-05-17 23:31
Cheers guys

Perhaps I should just switch to Macs.
I was looking into a mac mini anyway :D.
39c5254d0a798765f37ac215fa6e0fc7?d=identicon&s=25 Curtis Spendlove (cuspendlove)
On 5/17/06, Ken Kam <kenkam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cheers guys
>
> Perhaps I should just switch to Macs.
> I was looking into a mac mini anyway :D.

:: drools ::  I feel your pain...  I've been "looking into one" for a
good long time.  :)  I just need to take the six hundred bucks and buy
the blasted thing.  However, this thread has been good...Komodo and
jEdit look like viable solutions as well.  It will come down to try a
few and pick what works best for you.  :)
761ee725aaa7d64090c070fee847df10?d=identicon&s=25 satm (Guest)
on 2006-05-18 00:16
Jón Borgþórsson wrote:

> To get close to what DHH is doing there I recomend Ultra Edit. It has
> autocomplete and macros so feature wise it's the closest to TextMate.

I think Jedit with Rubyjedit plugin and SuperAbbrev plugin is closest to
TextMate. You don't even have to add Rails specific abbrevs - they are
already there.
E6dd9cedee99f9d02e5f87d80ee0e681?d=identicon&s=25 Warren Seltzer (Guest)
Radrails takes longer to save a file to the harddrive on my laptop than
it takes to ftp
the same file to the other end of the world.
Radrails also lacks some basic text editing functions such as a function
finder or tags
and selection of text by column.  I started using it and it has a nice
look so I'm keeping
it for a while.  I think that jedit, tho very ugly, is faster and has
nice enough
features.  For straight text editing the scite that comes with ruby is
very fast.
Radrails is huge.  For such a large program it ought to have more
features.  Emacs is
faster and has more features but is ugly and uncomfortable in comparison
to a modern gui..

Radrails does have good syntax coloring of rhtml files, though.  The
ruby/html mix does
not confuse it.

If you want to see a modern cross-reference facility look at slickedit
or source-insight.
You put your mouse on a function call and the source code for the
function pops up in a
sub-panel on the screen.  So you can see it.  Tags is an ancient wooden
machine by
comparison.

Imagine you put your mouse over a call to a rails method and the
ActiveRecord source code
pops up in a panel.

Warren Seltzer
A4a8fefcbd2cd6d2370609a5e2a3a389?d=identicon&s=25 Rob Merrell (Guest)
Out of sheer curiosity how is spending $2000+ on a computer the best
option
for somebody looking for a good IDE?

Rob
4b4b8cef1a0188c151240fef4afb50e6?d=identicon&s=25 Cesar Ho (Guest)
I spent $3000+ on a Mac Mini, and a MacBook Pro in search of a good
IDE and for every new time-saving shortcut I discover in TextMate I
pat myself on the back for having gone through this option. =D

Cesar
30ee518e6fdc5b07e060775b5a542bdb?d=identicon&s=25 Jón Borgþórsson (jongretar)
You don't exactly have to spend $2000. :)
$599 for a desktop or $1099 if you want a laptop. People have spent
more than that searching for a good development enviroment. ;)

On 5/17/06, Rob Merrell <robholio@gmail.com> wrote:

> > most, but it's the final straw in my Switch.  :)
> http://www.migrob.com

39c5254d0a798765f37ac215fa6e0fc7?d=identicon&s=25 Curtis Spendlove (cuspendlove)
> Out of sheer curiosity how is spending $2000+ on a computer the best option
> for somebody looking for a good IDE?

Good Lordy!  Where have you been pricing your Mac Minis?  You can get
a decent one that connects to an existing video monitor for about
$599.  Personally, I would toss additional RAM into it, but that might
just be my World of Warcraft addiction speaking...  :: cough ::

And everyone knows that WoW is a required plugin for any IDE...  Or,
well, mebbe that's just me...
30ee518e6fdc5b07e060775b5a542bdb?d=identicon&s=25 Jón Borgþórsson (jongretar)
> And everyone knows that WoW is a required plugin for any IDE...  Or,
> well, mebbe that's just me...
> __

Nahh. .... Required.....

--
0cfed8578fdd30c896da1e810bd34df9?d=identicon&s=25 Jake Pugster (Guest)
Is there anyone here using Komodo Professional for Rails work? Just

"Brian Chamberlain" <blchamberlain@gmail.com>
wrote in message
Have you checked out Komodo? (http://www.activestate.com/)
It's pretty nice...not sure about auto complete though...

On 5/17/06, Ken Kam <kenkam@gmail.com> wrote:
I was wondering if there are any IDEs out there that has autocomplete
features for win32.

It would be perfect if it could do something akin to what DHH is doing
on the screencast hosted on the rails website.
http://media.rubyonrails.org/video/rails_take2_wit...

Cheers

6f7c877de704c7cc03c8a3b2dc52df92?d=identicon&s=25 Carmen --- (carmen)
on 2006-05-18 02:50
>Emacs is
> faster and has more features but is ugly and uncomfortable in comparison
> to a modern gui..

huh? emacs uses XFT/GTK2, which pretty much defines 'modern gui'. tell
me how to disable font hinting on Windows, or _enable_ it on MacOSX
(impossible?). you can split a window into multiple panes and dedicate
one to log tail, one to firefox, one to bash, one to editing.. do other
'modern gui' editors allow this?

 rails.el is great.. of course syntax highlighting for every file on my
system ive ever opened is cool too. if it wasnt free i'd pay hmm...
$131?

theres another rails mode for emacs out there, arorem. anyone tried it?
539a351d5e60062693df414e9bbb3465?d=identicon&s=25 Ken Kam (kenkam)
on 2006-05-18 02:58
I think I agree with you. SuperAbbrev seems like what I'm looking for,
plus jedit has a lighter footprint than komodo or radrails.

satm wrote:
> Jón Borgþórsson wrote:
>
>> To get close to what DHH is doing there I recomend Ultra Edit. It has
>> autocomplete and macros so feature wise it's the closest to TextMate.
>
> I think Jedit with Rubyjedit plugin and SuperAbbrev plugin is closest to
> TextMate. You don't even have to add Rails specific abbrevs - they are
> already there.
40db9e75b3f5899258e3bdc0c9210154?d=identicon&s=25 Conrad Taylor (Guest)
Hey Cesar, you can get both machines for less that $2000 (i.e. Mac mini
and
MacBook).  If you're more mobile, then I would simple get a laptop.

Peace,

-Conrad
C7d5bc5b054035d95f287797c2595694?d=identicon&s=25 Matias Surdi (Guest)
ohh guys.... you really don't know how much I miss my Delphi IDE.....

:'-(

Ken Kam wrote:
> I think I agree with you. SuperAbbrev seems like what I'm looking for,
> plus jedit has a lighter footprint than komodo or radrails.

Yes...  I do as well...  The more I play with jEdit, the more I like...
If that Mac Mini didn't have those great WoW specs and the evil
TextMate...  It just looks soooo slick in those movies...  I console
myself that jEdit is free for the Mac too...  So that just brings us
back to more WoW for the buck...  :: ponders ::
0895305feb2b97049c39b08972233d02?d=identicon&s=25 Anthony Rudgick (anthonyrudgick)
on 2006-05-18 06:04
satm wrote:
> Jón Borgþórsson wrote:
>
>> To get close to what DHH is doing there I recomend Ultra Edit. It has
>> autocomplete and macros so feature wise it's the closest to TextMate.
>
> I think Jedit with Rubyjedit plugin and SuperAbbrev plugin is closest to
> TextMate. You don't even have to add Rails specific abbrevs - they are
> already there.

i finally took the jEdit challenge as well. i was previously using
radrails which i found a bit buggy and huge. with the aforementioned
plugins i am absolutely loving jEdit so far. i'll give it a good week or
so of use as my primary editor and see how it stacks up, but so far it
looks like a keeper!

thanks for the recommendation.
0895305feb2b97049c39b08972233d02?d=identicon&s=25 Anthony Rudgick (anthonyrudgick)
on 2006-05-18 09:28
satm wrote:
> Jón Borgþórsson wrote:
>
>> To get close to what DHH is doing there I recomend Ultra Edit. It has
>> autocomplete and macros so feature wise it's the closest to TextMate.
>
> I think Jedit with Rubyjedit plugin and SuperAbbrev plugin is closest to
> TextMate. You don't even have to add Rails specific abbrevs - they are
> already there.

i don't mean to hijack this thread but if someone could give me some
advice as to how to best use the jEdit SuperAbbrev plugin i'd be
extremely grateful, whether it be on this list or via emal
arudgick[at]gmail.

thanks again!
0895305feb2b97049c39b08972233d02?d=identicon&s=25 Anthony Rudgick (anthonyrudgick)
on 2006-05-18 10:06
> i don't mean to hijack this thread but if someone could give me some
> advice as to how to best use the jEdit SuperAbbrev plugin i'd be
> extremely grateful, whether it be on this list or via emal
> arudgick[at]gmail.
>
> thanks again!

i know i'm breaking the most sacred rule in all of internetland and
triple back to back posting but i found an excellent resource in my
jEdit journey that i just had to share.

http://synthesis.sbecker.net/pages/jedit-snippets-...

behold the ruby abbreviations in all of their glory
5498d1507784752a878d7cf33be13f6a?d=identicon&s=25 Scott Mathieson (uberkorp)
just chiming in to agree with you Brian - on all points - it sucks for
ror
(and that's coming from a quite frequent user of it for php, where it is
actually pretty good (subversion/project management not withstanding -
really
silly oversights))

it is fast under 'nix as opposed to wndows, for whatever (!) reason

had some issues with radrails so i'm now using jEdit, nice, fast &
works!