Forum: Ruby on Rails White Screen of Death

77707eb62b77a12638d1d0a9424afdc9?d=identicon&s=25 Nuno (Guest)
on 2006-05-17 15:25
Hello, I've heard these words to describe a RoR application returning an
empty page.

This happen from time to time even here, in the forum.

That is the cause of this misbehaviour ? Is it related with something
external to RoR itself ?

What is the solution to avoid the WSOD ?
B780ee0ee1480454a85df58536702f63?d=identicon&s=25 Alder Green (Guest)
On 5/17/06, Nuno <nomail@novalidatall991.com> wrote:
> --

The software running rubyforums.com is RForum by Andreas Schwarz. If
you're experiencing some sort of recurring problem, here is where you
file a bug:

http://rforum.andreas-s.net/trac/newticket
30ee518e6fdc5b07e060775b5a542bdb?d=identicon&s=25 Jón Borgþórsson (jongretar)
He is not describing a problem. He is just wondering what makes this
come up and how to avoid it.

On 5/17/06, Alder Green <alder.green@gmail.com> wrote:

> file a bug:
>
> http://rforum.andreas-s.net/trac/newticket
>
> --
> -Alder

8acba6d057b3f0c2c16cca95ad36881b?d=identicon&s=25 Bakki Kudva (bakki)
> Hello, I've heard these words to describe a RoR application returning an
> empty page.
>
> This happen from time to time even here, in the forum.
>
> That is the cause of this misbehaviour ? Is it related with something
> external to RoR itself ?

I've had this sort of a problem when there has been a Ruby syntax
error. A good solution is to try the Ruby code in irb first to make
sure its syntax is clean.

> What is the solution to avoid the WSOD ?

I think core developers use the console a lot to try new snippets. So
getting into that habit may be good. (I don't use it quite as much as
I probably should)

-bakki
On 5/17/06, Jon Gretar Borgthorsson <jon.borgthorsson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > That is the cause of this misbehaviour ? Is it related with something
> > >
> > Rails mailing list
> Rails mailing list
> Rails@lists.rubyonrails.org

Well, mabye. But saying "I'm seeing a white screen" doesn't help much.
At the very least, check the source of the page (if any) you're
getting. Getting a blank page might be caused by a huge range of
causes, from a non-terminated <style> tag to the webserver failing to
complete responses. It also depends on local factors, like the client
browser.

Just asking about "a white screen" is too little information.
Bc80625db60e9db4394c51d6c1892b49?d=identicon&s=25 Derrick Spell (Guest)
On May 17, 2006, at 9:25 AM, Nuno wrote:

> Hello, I've heard these words to describe a RoR application
> returning an
> empty page.
>
> This happen from time to time even here, in the forum.
>
> That is the cause of this misbehaviour ? Is it related with something
> external to RoR itself ?
>
> What is the solution to avoid the WSOD ?

The notorious WSOD you speak of refers to issues with session
management, etc, that existed in Rails 1.0.  Avoiding the WSOD is as
simple as switching to Rails 1.1  :)

Of course, there are ways to create a blank page within your own
code.  If you're on 1.1 and still seeing "a" WSOD (as opposed to
"the" WSOD) you'll have to debug further.

-Derrick Spell
5e518814b76962fdd1ad0e74dfac5ea7?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Gamsjaeger (Guest)
Hiall,

Maybe this is not so helpful as you most probably ruled it out as a
reason already. I saw such a WSOD yesterday in my app, only to find
out that a before_filter returned false! development.log was my friend
at that time :)

cheers
Martin