Forum: Ruby on Rails Functionnal testing : Watir vs Selenium

77707eb62b77a12638d1d0a9424afdc9?d=identicon&s=25 Nuno (Guest)
on 2006-05-17 13:39
Hello, I wonder if some of you have evaluated these two solutions and
how they compares each other.

What did you liked or disliked ?

And may be are you aware of others functionnal testing tools usable with
and integrated with Ruby ?

Thanks
35ff32fa14c2652913e1a06e3676edfb?d=identicon&s=25 toby c (Guest)
on 2006-07-12 21:08
We use Watir to make over 11,000 checks on our site and it performs very
well.
the main advantage of watir is that you can have to code on one server
and point it at any number of target servers. we have staging, cert and
live servers which can all be tested from one watir install.
Selenium on the other hand must be run on the machine your testing. This
can cause problems if you can easily modify code on the environment your
testing.
The main disadvantage to watir is that it only works on windows with IE.
Although i have seen various projects to run watir on Linux under Wine
and Firefox extensions that provide an interface to watir.