Forum: Ruby When will the gateway be back?

D3944ff4e8bc05067a615579b6ef599b?d=identicon&s=25 Phil Tomson (Guest)
I really prefer to read comp.lang.ruby instead of being subscribed to
a mailing list.  And I've read and posted to c.l.r for years: the
newsgroup model is very much preferrable for me.

However, the gateway between this mailing list and c.l.r has been down
for a while now and there aren't nearly as many posts over there.  So
I finally gave in and subscribed.  Not good having things divided like
this.  Any word on when the gateway will be back?

I don't know if this has been discussed here.  The search tools for
the mailing list aren't all that great.

Phil
2006/5/17, Phil Tomson <rubyfan@gmail.com>:
> I really prefer to read comp.lang.ruby instead of being subscribed to
> a mailing list.  And I've read and posted to c.l.r for years: the
> newsgroup model is very much preferrable for me.

+1

> However, the gateway between this mailing list and c.l.r has been down
> for a while now and there aren't nearly as many posts over there.  So
> I finally gave in and subscribed.  Not good having things divided like
> this.  Any word on when the gateway will be back?

I'm not sure about the state of the gateway.  AFAIK it's been shut
down generally and will not come back anytime soon.  You can find some
info in the recent thread "Gateway and the new ruby-talk-google
archive".

Kind regards

robert
A87f7a014c624587fab0d3d78c5b9c18?d=identicon&s=25 Bil Kleb (Guest)
Robert Klemme wrote:
> 2006/5/17, Phil Tomson <rubyfan@gmail.com>:
>> I really prefer to read comp.lang.ruby instead of being subscribed to
>> a mailing list.  And I've read and posted to c.l.r for years: the
>> newsgroup model is very much preferrable for me.
>
> +1

+1

Unless someone can tell me how to do the equivalent of "kill thread".
I can toggle this with a single 'k' in Thunderbird.

Later,
2006/5/17, Bil Kleb <Bil.Kleb@nasa.gov>:
> Unless someone can tell me how to do the equivalent of "kill thread".
> I can toggle this with a single 'k' in Thunderbird.

I think in googlemail you always delete whole threads - if you delete
at all. :-)

robert
Cff9eed5d8099e4c2d34eae663aae87e?d=identicon&s=25 Jacob Fugal (Guest)
On 5/17/06, Robert Klemme <shortcutter@googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2006/5/17, Bil Kleb <Bil.Kleb@nasa.gov>:
> > Unless someone can tell me how to do the equivalent of "kill thread".
> > I can toggle this with a single 'k' in Thunderbird.
>
> I think in googlemail you always delete whole threads - if you delete
> at all. :-)

Ah, but deleting a thread still only deletes the messages currently in
the thread. When subsequent messages arrive, they'll still show in
your inbox, just as a new thread. Where as a kill thread in
Thunderbird, I assume, leaves the thread there collecting its
undesirable children but unshown.

Jacob Fugal
1b5341b64f7ce0244366eae17f06c801?d=identicon&s=25 Kirk Haines (Guest)
On Tuesday 16 May 2006 11:28 pm, Phil Tomson wrote:

> However, the gateway between this mailing list and c.l.r has been down
> for a while now and there aren't nearly as many posts over there.  So
> I finally gave in and subscribed.  Not good having things divided like
> this.  Any word on when the gateway will be back?

I know this was discussed some weeks ago, but I don't recall with
certainty:
is the gateway currently gone simply because of a lack of a machine to
run it
on?

Thanks,

Kirk Haines
On 5/17/06, Kirk Haines <khaines@enigo.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 May 2006 11:28 pm, Phil Tomson wrote:
> > However, the gateway between this mailing list and c.l.r has been down
> > for a while now and there aren't nearly as many posts over there.  So
> > I finally gave in and subscribed.  Not good having things divided like
> > this.  Any word on when the gateway will be back?
> I know this was discussed some weeks ago, but I don't recall with certainty:
> is the gateway currently gone simply because of a lack of a machine to run it
> on?

The gateway is currently gone, as I understand it, because the
gateway's owner's changed news providers. The original provider
allowed a gateway. The new provider was supposed to do so, but reneged
on this.

Someone needs a news provider and machine that can be the gateway.
Maybe we should see about twisting someone's corporate arm to do so ;)

-austin
On Wednesday 17 May 2006 10:01 am, Austin Ziegler wrote:

> Someone needs a news provider and machine that can be the gateway.
> Maybe we should see about twisting someone's corporate arm to do so ;)

It's something that I am probably willing to run, if there is a news
provider
that I can access.

Thanks,

Kirk Haines
On 5/17/06, Kirk Haines <khaines@enigo.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 May 2006 10:01 am, Austin Ziegler wrote:
> > Someone needs a news provider and machine that can be the gateway.
> > Maybe we should see about twisting someone's corporate arm to do so ;)
> It's something that I am probably willing to run, if there is a news provider
> that I can access.

That's the real trick; finding such a news provider. Maybe someone
should talk to gmane?

-austin
E28c35323f624b8b9ed8712e25105454?d=identicon&s=25 Ray Baxter (Guest)
Austin Ziegler wrote:

> That's the real trick; finding such a news provider. Maybe someone
> should talk to gmane?

I'm reading, and responding, to this thread in
gmane.comp.lang.ruby.general.

--

Ray
> Austin Ziegler wrote:
> > That's the real trick; finding such a news provider. Maybe someone
> > should talk to gmane?
> I'm reading, and responding, to this thread in gmane.comp.lang.ruby.general.

Right. But that's a gmane-specific mailing list interface. My
understanding was they did newsgroups, too.

-austin
290cf664d9e6f823fc3af57556493db7?d=identicon&s=25 PJ Hyett (Guest)
Gmail using filters that auto-archive threads (thus bypassing your
inbox) into folders made specifically for each mailing list is a very
efficient setup in my opinion.

-PJ
Bd0203dc8478deb969d72f52e741bd4f?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Baird (Guest)
On 5/18/06, PJ Hyett <pjhyett@gmail.com> wrote:

> Gmail using filters that auto-archive threads (thus bypassing your
> inbox) into folders made specifically for each mailing list is a very
> efficient setup in my opinion.

I love that about Gmail too.

IM(V)HO the two main differences between using Gmail and a "proper"
newsreader are:

- no proper "kill thread", as mentioned above

- Gmail doesn't recognise that a thread has branches of sub-threads,
where
people talk about a particular aspect of the main thread.  From Gmail's
point of view it's one big list of messages.

This second one doesn't trouble me, but it's the thing that Gmail users
seem
to not always "get" when people say they prefer newsreaders.

;Daniel

Just realised, I didn't mention Ruby in that post.. sorry for the OT!
On 5/18/06, Daniel Baird <danielbaird@gmail.com> wrote:
> newsreader are:
>
> - no proper "kill thread", as mentioned above
>
> - Gmail doesn't recognise that a thread has branches of sub-threads, where
> people talk about a particular aspect of the main thread.  From Gmail's
> point of view it's one big list of messages.
>
> This second one doesn't trouble me, but it's the thing that Gmail users seem
> to not always "get" when people say they prefer newsreaders.

The other thing is that with news I don't get a bunch of stuff
downloaded to my mailbox or machine.

Phil