Forum: Ruby Getting really ticked off

Can the way-off-topic copyright thread go offline, or to some other
list?

James Britt

Ce8b03e5750097942c58e12b46724312?d=identicon&s=25 Giles Bowkett (Guest)
+1
5984d13b1e54f013591e75d476a807df?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Lains (Guest)
James Britt wrote:
> Can the way-off-topic copyright thread go offline, or to some other list?
>
> Thanks,

I second that!
C5c57a548f07dcfc633017277426151a?d=identicon&s=25 Molitor, Stephen L (Guest)
Giles is stealing James' opinion!

+2 (to taking it offline, not to stealing -- whoops there I go again,
stealing)

Steve
5da4c52f43677f395aff5bde775593c2?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Schierbeck (dasch)
James Britt wrote:
> Can the way-off-topic copyright thread go offline, or to some other list?

Hey, I've patented the concept of going offline!

(+1)
280b41a88665fd8c699e83a9a25ef949?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Waits (Guest)
James Britt wrote:
> Can the way-off-topic copyright thread go offline, or to some other list?

Why this even needs to be said is a mystery.  Such a thread should have
never started -- it's one thing for a thread to veer off-topic, but
another for intentionally inflammatory flamebait to thrown onto the
list.

So to make my own post useful, I'll take my "me too" (yuck, let's stop
+1 posts too eh?) post a step further and ask that everyone *please* be
considerate of keeping posts topical.

I certainly appreciate it, and I'm sure many others will as well.

Relax a bit.. Stay happy!

--Steve
On 5/16/06, Stephen Waits <steve@waits.net> wrote:
> James Britt wrote:
> > Can the way-off-topic copyright thread go offline, or to some other list?
> Why this even needs to be said is a mystery.  Such a thread should have
> never started -- it's one thing for a thread to veer off-topic, but
> another for intentionally inflammatory flamebait to thrown onto the list.

Excuse the hell out of you. I happen to be thoroughly pissed off for a
friend who *just* had something published and already someone is
advocating actions which would deprive him of his legitimately
deserved royalties for that publication.

This isn't flamebait: this is putting people on notice. I, frankly,
don't want low-life thieves in the Ruby community, and that's what I
consider the recommended action.

> So to make my own post useful, I'll take my "me too" (yuck, let's stop
> +1 posts too eh?) post a step further and ask that everyone *please* be
> considerate of keeping posts topical.

Right. It is *certainly* on-topic to Ruby-talk to complain when a
community member's contributions are being threatened by short-sighted
asinine selfish behaviour. It's called "policing the community."

> I certainly appreciate it, and I'm sure many others will as well.

I certainly don't appreciate your asinine responses here and
elsethread. If you have an issue with me, take it up directly with me
-- but *don't* try to coat yourself as doing the right thing in this,
not with your responses in this matter.

-austin
34f159f89cbd1d9beac0276f5a7af552?d=identicon&s=25 John Gabriele (Guest)
On 5/17/06, Austin Ziegler <halostatue@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/16/06, Stephen Waits <steve@waits.net> wrote:
> > James Britt wrote:
> > > Can the way-off-topic copyright thread go offline, or to some other list?
> > Why this even needs to be said is a mystery.  Such a thread should have
> > never started -- it's one thing for a thread to veer off-topic, but
> > another for intentionally inflammatory flamebait to thrown onto the list.
>
> Excuse the hell out of you.

Whoa there. Let's all relax a bit here. :)

I think we all can agree that it's good that this topic came up, and
hopefully it helped a few folks think through a few issues.

The trouble of course happens when thread(s) like these go on and on
and start to take away from the main focus of the list, which is
arguably about using Ruby. In these cases, a gentle reminder that
things are getting off-topic isn't such a bad thing (and of course, as
on any big ML, responses that you perceive as rude can easily be
ignored).

It's very common to reply to someone off-list to discuss a
possibly-off-topic post of theirs. Even CC'ing other interested
parties could be used (in moderation).

> [snip] here and elsethread. [snip]

Ok, now that word needs to make it into the jargon lexicon. :)