Forum: Ruby MulticastSocket in Ruby

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
8b6f3bdd655ba2a19cda645e2150f34d?d=identicon&s=25 dirk (Guest)
on 2006-05-13 11:49
Hi Folks,


I need some halp with Multicast Sockets. Is it possible to establish a
multicst socket in Ruby? I believe it ist, but have no idea how it could
work. I asked Google already for help, but with no success. So I ask
here. I already tried to solve this with using UDPSocket, but that
failed, too.

Is there any class, package or extension for this task or could you give
me a hint for doing this with the existing sockets?

Thanks a lot in advance.

greetz

dirk
0ca6e5c33d7e7ff901d75ff0b13d9e1c?d=identicon&s=25 Sam Roberts (Guest)
on 2006-05-16 06:23
(Received via mailing list)
Quoting dirk.breuer@gmail.com, on Sat, May 13, 2006 at 06:49:49PM +0900:
> I need some halp with Multicast Sockets. Is it possible to establish a
> multicst socket in Ruby? I believe it ist, but have no idea how it could
> work. I asked Google already for help, but with no success. So I ask
> here. I already tried to solve this with using UDPSocket, but that
> failed, too.

Use the low level apis of class Socket. They behave almost the same as
the BSD socket apis.

> Is there any class, package or extension for this task or could you give
> me a hint for doing this with the existing sockets?

If you want an example, multicast DNS uses multicast UDP, both send and
receive, look at http://dnssd.rubyforge.org, check out the source in
net-mdns.

Cheers,
Sam
A24e072d6092870feff0d5016ff2cdd0?d=identicon&s=25 Aaron Patterson (Guest)
on 2006-05-16 07:58
(Received via mailing list)
On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 01:22:55PM +0900, Sam Roberts wrote:
[snip]
> If you want an example, multicast DNS uses multicast UDP, both send and
> receive, look at http://dnssd.rubyforge.org, check out the source in
> net-mdns.

Wow!  That link is great!  This will go quite well with
Net::DAAP::Client ( http://rubyforge.org/projects/daapclient/ ).  Yay!

--Aaron
0ca6e5c33d7e7ff901d75ff0b13d9e1c?d=identicon&s=25 Sam Roberts (Guest)
on 2006-05-16 17:37
(Received via mailing list)
On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 02:57:42PM +0900, Aaron Patterson wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 01:22:55PM +0900, Sam Roberts wrote:
> [snip]
> > If you want an example, multicast DNS uses multicast UDP, both send and
> > receive, look at http://dnssd.rubyforge.org, check out the source in
> > net-mdns.
>
> Wow!  That link is great!  This will go quite well with
> Net::DAAP::Client ( http://rubyforge.org/projects/daapclient/ ).  Yay!

That looks pretty interesting, too, I'll keep an eye on it.

You might want to use the cvs version, there are some new easier-to-use
apis in the C bindings, and at least one bug fix. Charles and I probably
should re-sync the APIs and re-release but we don't hear much feedback
about DNS-SD, so its not very motivating.

Cheers,
Sam
8b6f3bdd655ba2a19cda645e2150f34d?d=identicon&s=25 dirk (Guest)
on 2006-05-19 15:37
Thanks a lot for your help.

Sorry that I response that late, but I had a little trouble with
finishing of my Bachelorthesis.

This here is for another project.

So thanks again for your help.

greetz

dirk
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.