Forum: Ruby on Rails Logical organization of controllers

61b70c2f195b0e669a8e25000148d9dd?d=identicon&s=25 Eden Brandeis (Guest)
I find that many of my controllers have a dozen or more methods and that
it
can take a few moments to orient myself when I open a controller I
haven't
looked at in a while.  Does anyone have suggestions for organizing
methods
in a controller (alphabetical, by function, etc) to increase readability
and
scanability?
34f5b045aec62235c17458650ea75353?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Koppelman (hatless)
on 2006-05-13 05:31
If you're using RadRails, the default Rails perspective displays a list
of methods in a pane beside your code. Click one, and the editor jumps
to it.

I know, not what you meant. But it does help.

Eden Brandeis wrote:
> I find that many of my controllers have a dozen or more methods and that
> it
> can take a few moments to orient myself when I open a controller I
> haven't
> looked at in a while.  Does anyone have suggestions for organizing
> methods
> in a controller (alphabetical, by function, etc) to increase readability
> and
> scanability?
A0ed1bbfe42f4f87e6db0a16706246e2?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Greenly (mgreenly)
on 2006-05-13 15:31
Steve Koppelman wrote:
> If you're using RadRails, the default Rails perspective displays a list
> of methods in a pane beside your code. Click one, and the editor jumps
> to it.
>
> I know, not what you meant. But it does help.
>
> Eden Brandeis wrote:
>> I find that many of my controllers have a dozen or more methods and that
>> it
>> can take a few moments to orient myself when I open a controller I
>> haven't
>> looked at in a while.  Does anyone have suggestions for organizing
>> methods
>> in a controller (alphabetical, by function, etc) to increase readability
>> and
>> scanability?

I keep my actions alphabetized in my controllers, it makes them easy to
find.