Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] New Mongrel 0.3.13 Documentation: HOWTO Do Everything

8c43ed7f065406bf171c0f3eb32cf615?d=identicon&s=25 Zed Shaw (Guest)
Just a quick note for a few new features/fixes available on the Mongrel
pre-release and a new document that covers nearly all the big features
and configurations for Mongrel.

First, the document is http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/howto.html and
it covers:

* All the start command options including the fresh -G option to
generate a config for -C.
* The format and usage of the MIME type file (-m option).
* Using a YAML config file to set command line options (-C option).
* Writing fancy Mongrel co
* Improved "HOWTO":/docs/howto.html documentation with all options.nfig
scripts in Ruby (-S option).
* The POSIX signals Mongrel uses for restart, stop, and reload.
* What the super debugging -B option produces and when to use it.
* Quick start on installing the mongrel_cluster GemPlugin.

The current pre-release now has the following fixes:

* A fix for --num-procs and --timeout where they weren't really being
set.
* A new -G option for generating YAML configs for the -C option.

Everyone should update from the releases directory with:

  $ gem uninstall mongrel
  $ gem install mongrel --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/

And try these out.  Especially the --num-procs and --timeout since they
weren't really being set previously (damn that's dumb).

Luis is also asking to hold off on the official 0.3.13 release until he
can fix up the win32 side and clean up the commands used there.  He's
got goodies in the works so that win32 folks can use the same
mongrel_rails script everyone else is using, but get special win::
commands for managing the services.

Enjoy!

--
Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/
> Just a quick note for a few new features/fixes available on the Mongrel
> pre-release and a new document that covers nearly all the big features
> and configurations for Mongrel.

Either something messed up when I installed or something else is just
broken. In trying some commands I'm getting errors:

mongrel_rails --version
INVALID COMMAND: Plugin /--version does not exist in category /commands
Available commands are:

 - restart
 - start
 - stop

Each command takes -h as an option to get help.

mongrel_rails start --version

INVALID COMMAND: uninitialized constant
Mongrel::Command::Base::MONGREL_VERSION
Available commands are:

 - restart
 - start
 - stop

Each command takes -h as an option to get help.

(Was getting errors trying to use the -G option, but that turned out
to be my own fault)

jt
On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 19:47 -0400, John Tsombakos wrote:

> Either something messed up when I installed or something else is just
> broken. In trying some commands I'm getting errors:
>
> mongrel_rails --version
> INVALID COMMAND: Plugin /--version does not exist in category /commands
> Available commands are:

This is sort of right, mongrel_rails itself doesn't have any options,
it's just a script that runs other commands. I should probably just make
a version command though.

> INVALID COMMAND: uninitialized constant Mongrel::Command::Base::MONGREL_VERSION
> Available commands are:

Damn, bug.  I'll fix that up and re-release.  Thanks for testing.

Let me know how it works otherwise though.

--
Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/
B07c187ac858535358faa9365b66e657?d=identicon&s=25 John Tsombakos (Guest)

> This is sort of right, mongrel_rails itself doesn't have any options,
> it's just a script that runs other commands. I should probably just make
> a version command though.

'Cept if you do:

mongrel_rails start -h
Usage: mongrel_rails [options]

    -e, --environment ENV            Rails environment to run as
    -d, --daemonize                  Whether to run in the background or
not
    -h, --help                       Show this message
        --version                    Show version

Says there already is one :)

jt
On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 22:29 -0400, John Tsombakos wrote:

>     -e, --environment ENV            Rails environment to run as
>     -d, --daemonize                  Whether to run in the background or not
>     -h, --help                       Show this message
>         --version                    Show version
>
> Says there already is one :)

Ooooh, a smartass.  I love it. :-)

Well, I don't want to shoot you down for your enthusiasm, but if you
read the above you got help for the start command, and it says there's a
--version for that (not for all of mongrel_rails).  Sure, it's missing
the "mongrel_rails *start* [options]" part but I'm hoping that won't
prevent the carefully crafted protocol handler or the ternary search
trie URI lookup from functioning correctly.

I'll see if I can squeeze the one word change to the usage line into the
latest patch for conditional responses from Dan Kubb tomorrow.  It could
be a tough one, but I think it might just make it.

While I'm doing that, do you think you could maybe test something other
than the version string?  I don't know, maybe a Rails application, or
something in Camping, or maybe a nice Nitro app or two.  Maybe go grab a
protocol fuzzer and try to break the parser?  You could try writing a
handler or a command as a GemPlugin.  Maybe some feedback on the actual
options.

Hehe, anyway, thanks for reporting this.  Just giving you a hard time
back.

--
Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/