Forum: Typo Using Memcached

6fd1d0d0316a3ee723703b9520fe1c38?d=identicon&s=25 phil (Guest)
I wrote a fairly complete HOWTO on installing memcached and getting it
working with Ruby-on-Rails apps in FreeBSD, and thus Typo:
http://fak3r.com/articles/2006/05/11/speed-up-ruby...

Then today I read that I could get more speed using a new Ruby memcached
client:

"A few days ago Eric Hodel announced the availability of a new pure Ruby
memcached client implementation (memcache-client-1.0.3) with performance
improvements over the older Ruby-Memcache-0.4 implementation."
http://railsexpress.de/blog/articles/2006/01/24/us...

I uninstalled Ruby-Memcache-0.4 and installed memcache-client-1.0.3
(both from ports in FreeBSD btw) and got it to work.  Still hadn't done
any sort of benchmarking tests, but hey, it's working.  Problem is, with
this newer Ruby memcached client I can't go in to the admin section; so
if I try to 'edit' something or even place a new comment I get the
following error:

    Application error (Apache)

    Change this error message for exceptions thrown outside of an action
(like in Dispatcher setups or broken Ruby code) in public/500.html

This is the first time I've seen 'Application error (Apache)' it always
says (Rails) every other time.  So my question, how do I find out what's
bombing, and where?  The older implementation works fine, you can admin,
make comments, etc, it's just the newer one that doesn't work, and it
leaves the Apache error.

Any insight is appreciated, I'm getting much more comfortable in ROR and
enjoy learning more and more how it can be scaled.

http://fak3r.com - you dont have to kick it
6fd1d0d0316a3ee723703b9520fe1c38?d=identicon&s=25 phil (Guest)
Ah, and an update on this, I'm building a new server, it only has
Lighttpd on it for a webserver, and I just got the same error as below;
Application error (Apache).  I really don't think this is Apache's
fault, seeing as how it's not installed!