Forum: Ruby on Rails OT: looking for decent JavaScript book

B9a732fc30c32098347a0177c75ee27b?d=identicon&s=25 jeroen (Guest)

Can anybody recommend a good book on client side javascript? I've been
using JS very conservatively for years, but it's changed so much and
browser support is now finally pretty decent. With all the great stuff
possible today I'd like to understand things a bit better rather than
just use the (great) scripts that come bundled with Rails.

TIA,

Jeroen
Bce1d1b7c3ec7b577dcb42e254899e6b?d=identicon&s=25 michael (Guest)
On Saturday 19 November 2005 14:21, Jeroen Houben wrote:

> Can anybody recommend a good book on client side javascript?

David Flanagan
JavaScript. The Definitive Guide
O'Reilly 2002
There's no substitute for this one as a guide to the language and
reference. Apparently, a new edition is in the works, but not yet
announced.

Stuart Langridge
DHTML Utopia. Modern Web Design Using JavaScript & DOM
Sitepoint 2005
A good how-to guide based on examples.

Nicholas Zakas
Professional JavaScript for Web Developers
Wrox 2005
More foundations than Langridge, but not as advanced.

Dave Crane, Eric Pascarello, Darren James
Ajax in Action
Manning 2005
Currently the best treatment of all the Ajax stuff.

Unfortunately, all these books are thoroughly lacking in the testing
department.

See also

http://jibbering.com/faq/
http://www.quirksmode.org/
http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/#jav

HTH,
Michael

--
Michael Schuerig                  There is no matrix,
mailto:michael@schuerig.de        only reality.

This is also a good place to look for JS info.
2dd904ec5981c31e7bb7a5743a53caf8?d=identicon&s=25 brucebalmer (Guest)
I found this on line resource to be extremely clear.
www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp

bruce
82476266af9d460415d8f1fc16bb54ed?d=identicon&s=25 Jarkko Laine (jarkko)
> On 19-Nov-05, at 6:21 AM, Jeroen Houben wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can anybody recommend a good book on client side javascript? I've
>> been using JS very conservatively for years, but it's changed so
>> much and browser support is now finally pretty decent. With all
>> the great stuff possible today I'd like to understand things a bit
>> better rather than just use the (great) scripts that come bundled
>> with Rails.

Can't give a definitive answer yet, but I just got Jeremy Keith's
"DOM Scripting: Web Design with JavaScript and the Document Object
Model" [1] from Amazon and it seems to be pretty much what a
standards-aware web designer/hacker would want from a JavaScript book.

//jarkko

[1] http://domscripting.com/book/
B9a732fc30c32098347a0177c75ee27b?d=identicon&s=25 jeroen (Guest)
Jarkko Laine wrote:

Yeah I ordered it too. I'm usually more into books that tell a story
(e.g. a sample project) than a big fat "definite reference".

Takes forever to ship to Holland, but hopefully it'll be worth the wait!

Jeroen