Forum: Ruby Mongrel 0.3.13 Pre-Release -- Out of Hibernation

8c43ed7f065406bf171c0f3eb32cf615?d=identicon&s=25 Zed Shaw (Guest)
Hello Mongrel Fans,

After about a Month of busy work, bad computers, moving half my house
across the country, and other dramas, I'm finally pushing out the next
release of Mongrel.

This pre-release has lots of little goodies and the start of some
documentation that should get everyone primed for the big "Mongrel 0.4
Enterprisey Edition 1.2" coming real soon now.

INSTALLING

Anyone NOT using Win32 can install the pre-release with:

  gem install daemons
  gem install mongrel --source=http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/releases/

Please test all your apps and make sure that you don't have any
problems.

BUG REPORTING

Report those bugs you find here:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=5145&group_id=1...

And put in any 0.4 feature requests you want in:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=5148&group_id=1...

0.3.13 FEATURES

This pre-release features lots of little fixes, and two nice
contributions from Why and Dan Kubb.  Why got file uploads working so
that big files go to a tempfile.  Dan Kubb got conditional responses for
files working, so Mongrel seems super snappy.  Here's the full list:

      * Large file uploads are streamed to a temp file rather than ram.
        (Thanks Why!)
      * Conditional HTTP responses for static files. (Thanks Dan Kubb!)
      * A fix to the start commandâ??sâ??help so thatâ??num-procs andâ??timeout
        are more clear.
      * A fix to the -B option since some idiot decided that they can
        change the object_id method of their classes to take a
        parameter.
      * No longer spews tons of junk to mongrel.log related to invalid
        parsing or closed client sockets.
      * Documented HttpRequestâ??s escape, unescape, and query_parse
        (which were stolen from Camping).
      * Removed some compiler warnings for unused variables in the C
        extension.
      * Rake now aborts with an obvious message if the http11 extension
        doesnâ??t build.
      * Requires â??resolv-replaceâ?? by default to prevent DNS queries from
        blocking Mongrel.

If nobody reports problems by tomorrow then I'll have this rolled out as
official and ready for Win32 folks as well.

Enjoy!

--
Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/
40db9e75b3f5899258e3bdc0c9210154?d=identicon&s=25 Conrad Taylor (Guest)
Hey Zed, I'll run all my current rails apps against it because I'm
wanting
to see a Mongrel + Apache setup at TextDrive.  Thanks for Mongrel
because
this will make my life easier.  Finally, I was wondering, will their be
any
collaboration between you and the Capistrano developers.  I really like
the
ability to rollback a release of a rails application.  Thus, does
Mongrel
support such a feature?

Peace,

-Conrad
On May 11, 2006, at 4:07 PM, Conrad Taylor wrote:

> Hey Zed, I'll run all my current rails apps against it because I'm
> wanting to see a Mongrel + Apache setup at TextDrive.  Thanks for
> Mongrel because this will make my life easier.  Finally, I was
> wondering, will their be any collaboration between you and the
> Capistrano developers.  I really like the ability to rollback a
> release of a rails application.  Thus, does Mongrel support such a
> feature?

Does Mongrel need to?

It's "just" an HTTP server.

Zed's Rubyesque, scrappy, fast gift of an HTTP server to be sure.

A task to start and stop (via mongrel_rails start|stop) it is all
that's needed to deploy with Capistrano against Mongrel.

--
-- Tom Mornini
Fcaf7a918c19872baf5c3b2787415e8e?d=identicon&s=25 Bradley Taylor (bktaylor)
On May 11, 2006, at 7:07 PM, Conrad Taylor wrote:

> Hey Zed, I'll run all my current rails apps against it because I'm
> wanting to see a Mongrel + Apache setup at TextDrive.  Thanks for
> Mongrel because this will make my life easier.  Finally, I was
> wondering, will their be any collaboration between you and the
> Capistrano developers.  I really like the ability to rollback a
> release of a rails application.  Thus, does Mongrel support such a
> feature?

Hi Conrad,

Check out the mongrel_cluster gem. It contains a Capistrano task
library for mongrel clusters.

Good Luck!

Bradley Taylor
------
Rails Machine
Simplified Ruby on Rails application deployment
http://railsmachine.com
40db9e75b3f5899258e3bdc0c9210154?d=identicon&s=25 Conrad Taylor (Guest)
Hi ALL, thanks for responding to my post.

-Conrad