Forum: Ruby on Rails crating a ajax datagrid

B5a793b425c4db1f45c3cdfec5697047?d=identicon&s=25 ss (Guest)
on 2006-05-11 17:47
hi,

Im looking to build a live data grid, where you can add delete rows
using dhtml.

and was just wondering if anyone is aware of any plugin's taht may help
me.

Ive found this example but if anyone is aware of any other plugin's
please let me know

http://unspace.ca/datagrid/update

thanks
scott
34a6fe7495b73bc48229ff158afdd520?d=identicon&s=25 Hopeful Skeptic (Guest)
on 2006-05-11 17:57
That's actually pretty nice.  I was just talking to someone about doing
tabular data entry using AJAX.  The grid in your link looks like it
could be slightly modified and used for that very purpose.

That would be pretty interesting.  It brings you one step closer to
replacing a desktop application.
On 11 May 2006, at 17:57, Hopeful Skeptic wrote:

> That's actually pretty nice.  I was just talking to someone about
> doing
> tabular data entry using AJAX.  The grid in your link looks like it
> could be slightly modified and used for that very purpose.
>
> That would be pretty interesting.  It brings you one step closer to
> replacing a desktop application.

There are some commercial DHTML Datagrids out there already that are
quite powerful and Rico's DataGrid also allows you to asynchronously
fetch records. However, sometimes (read: most of the time) it's just
better to find a more web-friendly way of showing records, either
through pagination or by fetching only one or two columns, then let
them click on a row to bring up a detail view using AJAX.  I have an
application that loads over 2000 records in a table using 1 column
and it both renders very fast and the time to send it to the user is
also more than acceptable (the Apache server uses mod_deflate,
Lighttpd has a similar module).

The Datagrids have some drawbacks, such as the inability to use your
scrollwheel on the table itself and rather disappointing crossbrowser
issues.
316c03a99e8ed311e5462d94f085fc2e?d=identicon&s=25 John Ivanoff (Guest)
like this?
http://numsum.com/spreadsheet/show/35

not sure what runs it....
B5a793b425c4db1f45c3cdfec5697047?d=identicon&s=25 ss (Guest)

In the end I found this
http://www.height1percent.com/articles/2006/02/23/...

seems pretty good for what I need!