Forum: Ruby google trends, bad comparisons, &c

Bb6ecee0238ef2461bef3416722b35c5?d=identicon&s=25 pat eyler (Guest)
James Britt posted a comment[1] about the new google trends tools[2],
claiming that people would try to use it for all kinds of bad
comparisons
(his examples were between Ruby and other programming languages).

I can't imagine that anyone would stoop to something like that.

On the other hand, I'm worried about Ruby's long term viability, as
google shows that its popularity is being threatened by the popularity
of eating spiders[3].

[1] www.jamesbritt.com/Development@Google_Trends.txt
[2] www.google.com/trends/
[3] rubyurl.com/jJs
pat eyler wrote:
> James Britt posted a comment[1] about the new google trends tools[2],
> claiming that people would try to use it for all kinds of bad comparisons
> (his examples were between Ruby and other programming languages).

Just to be clear: I didn't *claim* that; I went and *did* that.

> I can't imagine that anyone would stoop to something like that.

Heavens, no.

> On the other hand, I'm worried about Ruby's long term viability, as
> google shows that its popularity is being threatened by the popularity
> of eating spiders[3].

No way!  Those bastards.

I like spiders; they eat the bad bugs and (I think) scorpion eggs.

But scorpions eat spiders.

Quite the battle.

http://rubyurl.com/jEI

--
James Britt

"Judge a man by his questions, rather than his answers."
  - Voltaire
Ce8b03e5750097942c58e12b46724312?d=identicon&s=25 Giles Bowkett (Guest)
> On the other hand, I'm worried about Ruby's long term viability, as
> google shows that its popularity is being threatened by the popularity
> of eating spiders[3].

I tried that with "ruby on rails" and "bondage sex."

for some reason "bondage sex" is more popular than "ruby on rails."
"ruby on rails" overtakes "bondage sex" in popularity about halfway
through 2005 and owns it for the rest of the year, but "bondage sex"
shows a huge spike in popularity at the beginning of 2006 and from
there on in remains much, much more popular than "ruby on rails."

it's kind of like racing frogs. it has no consequence and you have no
control over it, yet there's something entertaining and compelling
about it all the same.
7264fb16beeea92b89bb42023738259d?d=identicon&s=25 Christian Neukirchen (Guest)
"Giles Bowkett" <gilesb@gmail.com> writes:

> for some reason "bondage sex" is more popular than "ruby on rails."

Now guess why Java became that popular.