Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] Howtos: Deploying Rails on Windows servers

6ef8cb7cd7cd58077f0b57e4fa49a969?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Hogan (Guest)
After a lot of work (and much promising) I have written instructions
on various methods to deploy Rails applications in a Windows
environment. For those of you who are not stuck with Windows, this
won't matter too much to you, but I think this is really useful for
those in Windows shops.

Topics covered:

* Serving Multiple Rails Applications on Windows with Apache and
Mongrel
* Integrate Rails into an Existing IIS Web infrastructure using Apache
and FastCGI

* Integrate Rails into an Existing IIS Web infrastructure using Mongrel

* Integrate Rails into an Existing IIS Web Infrastructure using
Lighttpd and Mongrel

Visit http://www.napcs.com/howto/rails/deploy/ to download the
articles. Let me know what you think!
8c43ed7f065406bf171c0f3eb32cf615?d=identicon&s=25 Zed Shaw (Guest)
On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 08:25 -0500, Brian Hogan wrote:
> * Integrate Rails into an Existing IIS Web infrastructure using Apache
> and FastCGI
>
> * Integrate Rails into an Existing IIS Web infrastructure using Mongrel
>
> * Integrate Rails into an Existing IIS Web Infrastructure using
> Lighttpd and Mongrel
>
> Visit http://www.napcs.com/howto/rails/deploy/ to download the
> articles. Let me know what you think!

Nice Brian, I'm starting the documentation pages for Mongrel, and I've
listed your site in the other documentation section:

http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/docs/index.html

Let me know if you want to write the "Best Practice Win32 Deployment"
document.  It'd basically be a short straight line version of what
you've got there, with references to your stuff for more detailed
instructions.

--
Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/
On 5/11/06, Brian Hogan <bphogan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > those in Windows shops.

This is mildly OT but do you have any recommendations with your
mod_proxy->mongrel setup for handling caching?  Because just looking
through
the doc, I don't see how you'll be able to accomodate rails's built in
caching mechanisms.  Any information you can provide would be great,

thanks.
6ef8cb7cd7cd58077f0b57e4fa49a969?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Hogan (Guest)
I actually mention that... however, according to Zed:

"Mongrel (as of 0.3.7) by default supports Rails style page caching in
the RailsHandler it uses to serve your applications. What this means
is that if you do a page cached action (which writes a .html file as
well as respond) then Mongrel will just serve up the cached page
instead of bug Rails."

Now, I know Lighttpd and Apache can serve static stuff up much faster,
but at least it's not like Rails gets invoked on every request.

I am investigateing several solutions for this right now and will
probably publish my findings at the same web site. It's definitely an
issue that concerns me.
On May 11, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Tanner Burson wrote:

> This is mildly OT but do you have any recommendations with your
> mod_proxy->mongrel setup for handling caching?  Because just
> looking through the doc, I don't see how you'll be able to
> accomodate rails's built in caching mechanisms.  Any information
> you can provide would be great,

Here's some Apache config stuff from a previous post to the Rails
list. It handles static content via Apache and proxies the rest
to Mongrel.

   # Serve static request with Apache
   RewriteCond %{DOCUMENT_ROOT}/%{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f

   # Serve server-info and server-status with Apache
   RewriteRule . -                                          [last]
   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/(server-info|server-status)

   # Everything else goes to Mongrel
   RewriteRule . -                                          [last]
   RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ balancer://proxy_group/$1            [proxy]

   # This defines where the mongrels are
   <Proxy balancer://proxy_group>
     BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:7000
     BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:7001
   </Proxy>

   # This handles the reverse proxying
   ProxyPassReverse / balancer://proxy_group/

If anyone wants to write this up, go for it. Just give me an
attribution, please. :-)

--
-- Tom Mornini
The commenting was a bit off, sorry for that. This fixes that.

Again, if anyone wants to write this up, go for it. Just give me
an attribution, please. :-)