Forum: GNU Radio Dream (for Digital Radio Mondial) transmit FIFOs

C64c1417762c07a7587efc9af476f1bd?d=identicon&s=25 Brett L Trotter (Guest)
Some very generous folks on this list have pointed me towards how to do
a DRM receiver with the USRP and Dream via FIFO's and a nifty little
piece of python code. Unfortunately, I live smack dab in the middle of
the US with nothing but a random wire antenna. The Dream code lacks the
ability to write to a fifo/file instead of /dev/dsp.

My goal (for testing) is to run DRM in transmit mode over the LFTX board
and then receive it on the LFRX with a short patch cable, then later
move up to an antenna for some short range tests in a Faraday cage.

Has anyone tackled this problem (on linux) before? Is there a nifty way
to be able to let drm -t suck in from the soundcard as usual, but output
to a fifo and then have some python code dump that to the usrp? I think
I've got the listening end accounted for thanks to you folks.

Any help would be appreciated. I look forward to the code you are
working on for DAB/DRM.

Thanks in advance!
3719f4fea703e38bcbf8de6fe6bcdf55?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Dvh (Guest)
Brett L Trotter wrote:
> Some very generous folks on this list have pointed me towards how to do
> a DRM receiver with the USRP and Dream via FIFO's and a nifty little
> piece of python code. Unfortunately, I live smack dab in the middle of
> the US with nothing but a random wire antenna. The Dream code lacks the
> ability to write to a fifo/file instead of /dev/dsp.
Have you tried making /dev/dsp a fifo
(It's ugly but might work)
mv /dev/dsp /dev/realdsp
mkfifo /dev/dsp

do some drm testing
You will get errors about not being able to set samplerate and such.

rm /dev/dsp
mv /dev/realdsp /dev/dsp