Forum: Ruby Re: changing the type of a variable

397f61cc4458e13157b4facf72325e5f?d=identicon&s=25 Gennady Bystritsky (Guest)
You may need to restart your Rails application so that your changes may
be picked up.

Gennady.
2e18231ab86ae81324b23c279b3b338e?d=identicon&s=25 Allison Newman (demallien)
on 2006-05-10 21:19
Gennady Bystritsky wrote:
> You may need to restart your Rails application so that your changes may
> be picked up.
>
> Gennady.

Without wanting to sound really dumb, how do I restart a Rails app.  As
far as I can see, the only thing that is actually running is the server
(WEBrick), which I had already tried restarting, without success... :-/
On 5/10/06, Allison Newman <demallien@mac.com> wrote:
> Gennady Bystritsky wrote:
> > You may need to restart your Rails application so that your changes may
> > be picked up.
> >
> > Gennady.
>
> Without wanting to sound really dumb, how do I restart a Rails app.  As
> far as I can see, the only thing that is actually running is the server
> (WEBrick), which I had already tried restarting, without success... :-/

You will probably get better results from the Rails-specific list or
forum.

Please note that if you're using Ruby-Forum to access information on
Ruby and Rails, you are posting to a mailing list through a forum
interface.

-austin
2e18231ab86ae81324b23c279b3b338e?d=identicon&s=25 Allison Newman (demallien)
on 2006-05-10 21:35
Austin Ziegler wrote:
> On 5/10/06, Allison Newman <demallien@mac.com> wrote:
>> Gennady Bystritsky wrote:
>> > You may need to restart your Rails application so that your changes may
>> > be picked up.
>> >
>> > Gennady.
>>
>> Without wanting to sound really dumb, how do I restart a Rails app.  As
>> far as I can see, the only thing that is actually running is the server
>> (WEBrick), which I had already tried restarting, without success... :-/
>
> You will probably get better results from the Rails-specific list or
> forum.

> Please note that if you're using Ruby-Forum to access information on
> Ruby and Rails, you are posting to a mailing list through a forum
> interface.
>
> -austin

Maybe, but as I said, I'm a newbie when it comes to ruby, and really,
from where I stand, this looks to be a ruby thing, not a Rails thing.
Does the Ruby VM remember the types of variables even across sessions?
How do I start a VM session anyway?  How can I reset the VM?
On 5/10/06, Allison Newman <demallien@mac.com> wrote:
> Maybe, but as I said, I'm a newbie when it comes to ruby, and really,
> from where I stand, this looks to be a ruby thing, not a Rails thing.
> Does the Ruby VM remember the types of variables even across sessions?
> How do I start a VM session anyway?  How can I reset the VM?

There is no Ruby VM as you'd understand it. If you have something
remembering the type of an object -- not a variable; variables are
typeless here -- then it is probably a Rails problem.

This is only something that could possibly affect long-running
processes.

-austin