Forum: Ruby Generating an Atom Feed?

7863582496e914f1ffce56f98d468f72?d=identicon&s=25 Nathan Olberding (nko)
on 2006-05-09 19:51
Does anyone know of a library for generating an Atom feed? I've looked
around, but can only seem to find parsers, not generators.

I don't imagine it'd be hard to hack up the code to do this in pure
Ruby, but if there's an existing library, I'd like to use it.
E28c35323f624b8b9ed8712e25105454?d=identicon&s=25 Ray Baxter (Guest)
Nathan Olberding wrote:
> Does anyone know of a library for generating an Atom feed? I've looked
> around, but can only seem to find parsers, not generators.

feedtools can generate and parse atom feeds.

http://sporkmonger.com/projects/feedtools/

--

Ray
3a0d61d465c296f7f291b5bd09c90a4a?d=identicon&s=25 tony summerfelt (Guest)
On Wed, 10 May 2006 02:51:12 +0900, you wrote:

>Does anyone know of a library for generating an Atom feed? I've looked
>around, but can only seem to find parsers, not generators.

i ran into the same problem when i wrote tkblog (tck/tk) and i wanted
to create an rss feed. found parsers but no generators

>I don't imagine it'd be hard to hack up the code to do this in pure
>Ruby, but if there's an existing library, I'd like to use it.

that's exactly what i did in tcl. i'm guessing the ruby code would be
a lot more efficient than what i did. probalby less than 20 lines of
code.

there was  a big advantage when writing it by brute force. i  learned
that the rss standard wasn't. but because it was my own code i could
change it as the standard changed :)  and when i was done i had my own
tcl extension.

the major disadvantage was that the rss standard was all over the
place. i spent hours trying to track down the "real"  standard. while
writing the code i tested a boatload of rss feed readers. some where
very forgiving of the "standard" and some were very strict.

this was a few years ago so it's entirely possible it's since been
ratified or whatever they do to nail down a standard to only a few
versions :)

http://home.cogeco.ca/~tsummerfelt1
telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org