Forum: Ruby on Rails Need Login/Authorization/User Management Advice

Df0a460118ef876e45b13b8c1a471454?d=identicon&s=25 Marston A. (marstoni)
on 2006-05-09 10:32
I'm new ot rails and am revamping one of my first rails projects and
would like some advice on user authentication and management.

In my app I implemented the basic user login functionality as it is in
the Agile Web Developement book. Though it works great I'd like a bit
more functionality such as: user levels/roles (i.e level1, level2,
level3, admin) type permission, password resetting, forgotten password
emailing etc, nothing hardcore or anything.

I've heard much praise about the Acts_As_Authenticated plugin
(http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/Acts_as_au...) but also
the auth_generator plugin (http://penso.info/code/auth_generator).  I
was wondering if anyone has had experience with both and could point out
why one is better than the other for what you used it for.

At this point I've looked more at auth_generator because it upfront
looks like it has most of the features I want along with user
administration built in.  I still have yet to dig more into AAA and
exactly what it does/how it works.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
Ed097d0e34ab5e7e4e986c05da2e8e40?d=identicon&s=25 anup (Guest)

I have used auth_generator for admin operations on my site anup.info.
Plz let me know any doubts.

Anup
C2c4fe96ab99a08975a4437c1829fb00?d=identicon&s=25 RB (Guest)
on 2006-08-25 03:13
anup wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have used auth_generator for admin operations on my site anup.info.
> Plz let me know any doubts.
>
> Anup

Was going to use auth_generator, went back to the site to get it, but
found the site to be down. Anybody have any news on this, or suggestions
to other auth gems?