Forum: Ruby on Rails Needle + Rails - IoC

78f194e66e2758fc377f17d209d7fb03?d=identicon&s=25 Nick Faiz (Guest)

I'm looking for past efforts to integrate Rails and Needle. I am
thinking of doing it myself but would be interested in seeing what
others have done before.

If there are examples of other IoC frameworks being used with Ruby I'd
be interested in hearing about them too. I find IoC to be a helpful
concept in general and, having glanced at a few existing Rails app.s, I
think it'd be useful in conjunction with Rails.

My main goal, right now, is to wire the controllers at request time, so
that they be injected with services from the Needle registry. Being new
to Rails I have the background thought that I could do this with a
plugin? I think that I probably need to wire up the controller during
the execution of the recognize method in the RouteSet class.

All thoughts welcome, especially past experiences about the same effort.

Cheers,
Nick
A52b0e1c5d982f2512a03c5dbfd033d6?d=identicon&s=25 Dick Davies (Guest)
On 07/05/06, Nick Faiz <nickfaiz@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking for past efforts to integrate Rails and Needle. I am
> thinking of doing it myself but would be interested in seeing what
> others have done before.
>
> If there are examples of other IoC frameworks being used with Ruby I'd
> be interested in hearing about them too. I find IoC to be a helpful
> concept in general and, having glanced at a few existing Rails app.s, I
> think it'd be useful in conjunction with Rails.

I know it was considered about a year or so back. See:

   http://ruby.jamisbuck.org/rails-injected.html
   http://www.loudthinking.com/arc/000357.html

but I got the impression Jamis and DHH went off the whole IoC buzz
- but they're big boys, they can speak for themselves :)

http://number9.hellooperator.net/
78f194e66e2758fc377f17d209d7fb03?d=identicon&s=25 Nick Faiz (Guest)
Hi Dick,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I found those links when I googled for Rail and Needle. I really
thought someone would have been using Rails plus some sort of IoC
solution by now, so I wanted to ask for something more recent. I should
have said that I had found those pages in the original email.

Well, it looks like I'm on my own then. I'll see how far I get with
hooking Needle up to Rails!

Cheers,
Nick
40a94646462b58d8b0109b5fa6655c72?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Conway (Guest)
If I remember correctly DHH integrated dependency injection features
into the Rails framework over a year ago (might be a bit more than a
year ago).

Cheers

Jonathan
-------