Forum: Ruby ruby ide?

Ff0f8dd0d90d244459c4178d72dc5a50?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Buchan (bfsog)
on 2006-05-07 17:37
What do you lot code ruby into?

Anything like and of bloodshed's or visual studio?
Aec7ecc679a19ea6db7e4d73dfb2d627?d=identicon&s=25 Tom Marsh (Guest)
I quite like RadRails. Its got a few rough edges, but syntax
highlighting and database administration all seem to work.
37ee5fa90f5eaeef62553629382497f7?d=identicon&s=25 Leslie Viljoen (Guest)
On 5/7/06, Tom Marsh <ts.marsh@gmail.com> wrote:
> I quite like RadRails. Its got a few rough edges, but syntax
> highlighting and database administration all seem to work.

I also use RadRails - or Scite if I just want to do something quick
in an editor that can highlight. Or vim on Linux where I don't have a
GUI.
I have also used Arachnoruby and Freeride.

You can search the Ruby-talk archives, this question gets asked about
every two weeks.
D1be1ff625c6286f4734cb6019490301?d=identicon&s=25 Vlad GALU (Guest)
On 5/7/06, Leslie Viljoen <leslieviljoen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/7/06, Tom Marsh <ts.marsh@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I quite like RadRails. Its got a few rough edges, but syntax
> > highlighting and database administration all seem to work.
>
> I also use RadRails - or Scite if I just want to do something quick
> in an editor that can highlight. Or vim on Linux where I don't have a GUI.
> I have also used Arachnoruby and Freeride.
>
> You can search the Ruby-talk archives, this question gets asked about
> every two weeks.

   I'm very pleased with Komodo, but it's very expensive :/

--
If it's there, and you can see it, it's real.
If it's not there, and you can see it, it's virtual.
> What do you lot code ruby into?
>
> Anything like and of bloodshed's or visual studio?

I've just started having a look at FreeRIDE, and took a little extra
time to install it from scratch. If anyone's interested, I put my
instructions up here: http://www.simisen.com/jmg/freeride.html . Note:
the FreeRIDE folks have an installer, which they recommend, and which
does most of that work for you.

I've got pretty high hopes for FreeRIDE: it's code is neat, seems
modular, and is fairly well-documented. It's licensed under the same
terms as Ruby itself too.
C475cffda1800fbc3f3af17bc10c220f?d=identicon&s=25 Curt Hibbs (Guest)
On 5/7/06, John Gabriele <jmg3000@gmail.com> wrote:
> the FreeRIDE folks have an installer, which they recommend, and which
> does most of that work for you.
>
> I've got pretty high hopes for FreeRIDE: it's code is neat, seems
> modular, and is fairly well-documented. It's licensed under the same
> terms as Ruby itself too.
>
> FreeRide has a unique internal architecture that uses something call the
databus to keep all of the components loosely coupled. You can read
about
the databus here:

  http://freeride.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Databus

In FreeRIDE everything is a plugin (except the code responsible for
plugins). Even the GUI frontend is a plugin that uses FXRuby to render
the
UI. There are plans to someday write a a wxRuby GUI plugin.

Curt
481b8eedcc884289756246e12d1869c1?d=identicon&s=25 Francis Cianfrocca (Guest)
Tremendously interesting architecture. Are you aware if the
loose-coupled
slot architecture will work (or will someday work) with components
distributed across process spaces (especially, across a network)?
91e1fb8bd265b7629491ab64c42f0906?d=identicon&s=25 Reid Thompson (Guest)
Curt Hibbs wrote:
>> instructions up here: http://www.simisen.com/jmg/freeride.html . Note:
>
>  http://freeride.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Databus
>
> In FreeRIDE everything is a plugin (except the code responsible for
> plugins). Even the GUI frontend is a plugin that uses FXRuby to render
> the
> UI. There are plans to someday write a a wxRuby GUI plugin.
>
> Curt

Ruby RDE  ( ruby dev env)
http://homepage2.nifty.com/sakazuki/rde_e.html

I've found this to the quite handy for windows work.

But main dev environment == Vim + 'whatever language plugins' fit the
need.
C475cffda1800fbc3f3af17bc10c220f?d=identicon&s=25 Curt Hibbs (Guest)
There's no reason why it wouldn't. Of course there would be added
latency
and you'd have to deal with the inherent unreliability of the network.

Curt